[SOLVED] I upgraded some of the components in the PC, it worked for two days, and then it failed.

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
Let me start with the whole story:

I bought my PC from CyberPower back in 2015 (Inb4 people say anything, I know that pre-built PC's are overpriced, but at the time, I wasn't really interested in the building aspect of PC's), and originally, this is how it came, pre-built:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 (Socket: LGA1150)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz (cooled with an Asetek 550LC 120mm Watercooler)
GPU: GeForce GTX980ti
RAM: Two sticks of 4GB ram totaling 8GB (not really relevant to the issue)
PSU: ATNG 800 Watt 80 Plus Power Supply (which strangely only accounted for $17 of the total purchase cost)
I should probably mention, it came with other miscellaneous things like a 7200 RPM hard drive, DVD ROM, PSU cables, and everything else included in your average PC
However, it did not come with a Solid State Drive.

Fast forward to 2016, back then, I decided to dish out some cash to upgrade my 980ti to a 1080, and go a little further, and invest some money into a 150 GB SSD for me to install Windows on it. I also upgraded my RAM to 16 GB (albeit, it was still DDR3, due to the motherboard being the limiting factor)
I was easily able to do it, despite being a very inexperienced builder (after watching some tutorials, of course)

Then, I had founder's edition GeForce GTX1080 (connected via DisplayPort to a 144Hz monitor), more RAM, and two separate drives on my computer.

Fast forward again to 2019, wherein about a week ago, I decided to upgrade my CPU to an i9 9900K, however that meant a few things:

One, I would have to replace my motherboard, since the i9 9900K is fitted to a LGA1151 socket, as opposed to LGA1150
Two, since I decided on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code, that meant I would also need a set of DDR4 RAM...
And I decided to go with CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4.

When all of my ordered parts came in, I replaced my motherboard, mounted the CPU, reapplied thermal paste (a dot, slightly smaller than the size of pea, smack dab in the middle of the chip), replaced my RAM, and re-mounted my GPU, and everything was fine. All I had to do was reinstall Windows, but nothing else was a problem, really.

There was NO problem with the computer for about two days, I was able to do some college work, play Siege, watch Netflix, but only for about two days.
Yesterday, I switched my computer off after playing some Insurgency, and called it a night.
Today, I woke up, pushed the power button, and my monitor wasn't getting any signal.
The motherboard itself seems to be on, the LED's on it light up, the case fans are spinning, the RAM LED also light up, as well as the GPU's LED's.
View: https://imgur.com/a/qrAIoIA

THE PROBLEM: Black Screen, no input on the monitor. (DISPLAY PORT: NO SIGNAL) I can't even get into BIOS.

HERE IS WHAT I TRIED TO FIX THE ISSUE:

I re-seated the GPU into a different slot, both RAM sticks in the other slots
I also re-seated the CPU. Yes, I reapplied the thermal paste, no, none of the paste got on the motherboard. The CPU "fan" plug is plugged in.
I pulled out, and re-plugged the DisplayPort cable on both the monitor, and the GPU end.
I double checked, and my front panel plugs are properly connected.
I tried booting with one stick of RAM, EACH on their own.
I tried resetting CMOS, both while the computer was ON and OFF, however I did it with the mobo battery still in, as well as other components on the board.
I pulled out, an re-plugged the power cord properly on both ends.
I should mention that I skimmed the motherboard manual, but I felt like I read the basic needed stuff.

By no means, am I an experienced builder, I am not. To this day, I still feel very new, and don't know enough about my computer to know what's causing the issue.
However, I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be my Power Supply.
Why? Because on my PC order invoice, it points out that the PSU was only 17 dollars (17 dollars for 800 watts.)
Also, it is the only component that I haven't replaced, besides the Hard Drive, CD-ROM and PSU wires.

It might also be entirely possible that my motherboard just fried itself two days into it's usage cycle?

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Well you know for sure the monitor works and works on hdmi. You've tested for that with the laptop. So assume the pc works up to the point of video transmission and monitor ports work. What's left is what's in the middle. That's the gpu. It's not unknown for either a cheap psu to take out a gpu (no matter how expensive, it's still plugged directly by pcie) but on the other hand it's also not unknown for a display port to fail on a new gpu (all by itself) either. So remove the display port from the equation, since that is not working, try something that does work, hdmi. If neither works, the gpu is not working. Could be a defective gpu, could be defective power supply.

It's just a more detailed checklist, find out exactly what does...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu is the largest power draw usually and the issue stems there as you have a black screen. With pc off, pull out the gpu totally out of socket. Push and hold the reset cmos button for 10 seconds. Plug the monitor into the motherboard video port. Then try booting.

Hopefully you'll get a workable screen. If you do, then pretty sure that ATNG took out the gpu. If you don't, pretty sure the 12v rail on that ATNG just took a dump.

It's an ATNG psu. I'm surprised that it cost $17, they usually throw those in for free, as their cost is @ $5-7 a unit. That, btw, is not a psu. It's a psu shaped object that happens to also supply power to a pc, but that's a secondary purpose, it's primary purpose is to deceive you into thinking that at 800w and $17 you just ripped off the deal of the Century. The truth being that at $17, you just got ripped off for @ $67, because you'd have to pay me at least $50 just to take it off your hands.

Yes it's that bad.

If you have one of the old gpus you could try that as well, if it works then your new gpu is toast. If it still doesn't, pretty sure the psu is bunk. (more so than usual)

Have you tried using hdmi instead of the dp port?

Last edited:

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
The gpu is the largest power draw usually and the issue stems there as you have a black screen. With pc off, pull out the gpu totally out of socket. Push and hold the reset cmos button for 10 seconds. Plug the monitor into the motherboard video port. Then try booting.

Hopefully you'll get a workable screen. If you do, then pretty sure that ATNG took out the gpu. If you don't, pretty sure the 12v rail on that ATNG just took a dump.

It's an ATNG psu. I'm surprised that it cost $17, they usually throw those in for free, as their cost is @ $5-7 a unit. That, btw, is not a psu. It's a psu shaped object that happens to also supply power to a pc, but that's a secondary purpose, it's primary purpose is to deceive you into thinking that at 800w and $17 you just ripped off the deal of the Century. The truth being that at $17, you just got ripped off for @ $67, because you'd have to pay me at least $50 just to take it off your hands.

Yes it's that bad.

If you have one of the old gpus you could try that as well, if it works then your new gpu is toast. If it still doesn't, pretty sure the psu is bunk. (more so than usual)

Are you saying it killed my GPU?
Also, I haven't tried HDMI yet. If i plug HDMI into my mobo and that doesn't work either, does that mean the damn thing fried my new motherboard as well?

Last edited:
If the psu failed which seems highly likely it could damage any connected parts. You need to buy a good quality 600w and try that, only then can you work out if damage was caused to anything else. Any psu that cost $17 is utter garbage quality and is going to have minimal safety features to protect your system in the event of failure.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well you know for sure the monitor works and works on hdmi. You've tested for that with the laptop. So assume the pc works up to the point of video transmission and monitor ports work. What's left is what's in the middle. That's the gpu. It's not unknown for either a cheap psu to take out a gpu (no matter how expensive, it's still plugged directly by pcie) but on the other hand it's also not unknown for a display port to fail on a new gpu (all by itself) either. So remove the display port from the equation, since that is not working, try something that does work, hdmi. If neither works, the gpu is not working. Could be a defective gpu, could be defective power supply.

It's just a more detailed checklist, find out exactly what does work, and where. It'll be little things, like the cord, use the exact same hdmi cord as you used with the laptop, it's known to work. You can't verify the display port cable, working yesterday is no guarantee it works today. My daughter had brand new ear plugs, loved them. 2 days later she's bending the wire at the jack or only one ear worked. Simple wiring failure.

Worry about causes or likely causes later, figure out damages first.

Solution

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019

It's just a more detailed checklist, find out exactly what does work, and where. It'll be little things, like the cord, use the exact same hdmi cord as you used with the laptop, it's known to work. You can't verify the display port cable, working yesterday is no guarantee it works today. My daughter had brand new ear plugs, loved them. 2 days later she's bending the wire at the jack or only one ear worked. Simple wiring failure.

Worry about causes or likely causes later, figure out damages first.
Yeah, its kind of difficult to do that at the moment, to be honest.
I am waiting for my new EVGA G3 PSU to arrive on Monday to actually begin troubleshooting properly.
As of right now, I unplugged the tower from all sources of power, and honestly, just scared to turn it on with a possible busted power supply.
It would really suck if it took my card out, since I don't exactly have enough money to dish out for a brand new gpu like that.