[SOLVED] I upgraded to 100 mbps but I'm not getting more than 40. Do I need a new USB wireless adapter??

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi there.

I upgraded to 100 mbps yesterday but I can only get them when I connect my PC to the router using an ethernet cable. Using a USB wireless adapter I can only get up to 30 - 40 mbps.

I had a little argument with my ISP (since they didn't provide enough details on how to setup everything before the upgrade) but I believe the problem is with my adapter? It just can't work at higher speeds or doesn't support the 5 GHz band..

Do you guys agree with me? Do I need a new adapter? I think this one would work nicely: https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/high-gain-adapter/tl-wn822n/

If you can suggest more please go ahead! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi there.

I upgraded to 100 mbps yesterday but I can only get them when I connect my PC to the router using an ethernet cable. Using a USB wireless adapter I can only get up to 30 - 40 mbps.

I had a little argument with my ISP (since they didn't provide enough details on how to setup everything before the upgrade) but I believe the problem is with my adapter? It just can't work at higher speeds or doesn't support the 5 GHz band..

Do you guys agree with me? Do I need a new adapter? I think this one would work nicely: https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/high-gain-adapter/tl-wn822n/

You didn't list your current adapter, so it is difficult to know for sure...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there.

You didn't list your current adapter, so it is difficult to know for sure. If it is a "nano" adapter, then it is definitely a problem
That adapter you listed is not a dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz) adapter It would probably only get 70Mbit throughput. If you want dual band, something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 would be the recommendation. Like the TP Link, it can be used with a cable to allow it to be positioned for best signal.

Solution

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
You didn't list your current adapter, so it is difficult to know for sure. If it is a "nano" adapter, then it is definitely a problem
That adapter you listed is not a dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz) adapter It would probably only get 70Mbit throughput. If you want dual band, something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 would be the recommendation. Like the TP Link, it can be used with a cable to allow it to be positioned for best signal.
Thanks for the reply. This is my current adapter: https://www.szedup.com/product-item/802-11n-mini-wifi-adapter/
The one I'm having problem with.

Is a dual band adapter necessary in this case? I mean if I get up to let's say 90 mbps then I can definitely buy the one you linked or a very similar one.

The adapter you have is probably the worst possible option for a desktop machine. Its tiny size and low power output is designed where portability and battery life are much more important than performance.
The other adapter you link will be slightly better because it has larger antenna and is remote from the machine. Hard to say what you will get even the very best devices running on 2.4g seldom get even close to 100mbps.

Running a device on 5g using the newer 802.11ac will greatly outperform the device you link. You should be able to get very close to the 100mbps you pay for. BUT the adapter is only 1/2 the connection it depends on your router. If your current router is also a antique that does not run 802.11ac or is not dual band it you will see no benefit.

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
The adapter you have is probably the worst possible option for a desktop machine. Its tiny size and low power output is designed where portability and battery life are much more important than performance.
The other adapter you link will be slightly better because it has larger antenna and is remote from the machine. Hard to say what you will get even the very best devices running on 2.4g seldom get even close to 100mbps.

Running a device on 5g using the newer 802.11ac will greatly outperform the device you link. You should be able to get very close to the 100mbps you pay for. BUT the adapter is only 1/2 the connection it depends on your router. If your current router is also a antique that does not run 802.11ac or is not dual band it you will see no benefit.
The router was just given to us by the ISP and it is dual band.

I'm not expecting to get close to 100 mbps with an adapter, that's understandable. I mean, even with an ethernet cable I got max 95 mbps. It's alright.

Your current adapter is definitely holding you back.

There are plenty of good quality PCI-E type adapters on the market that can easily max out your 100m connection.

If you're limited to USB devices then there are also plenty of USB adapters that can handle those speeds. I'd recommend a dual antenna USB 3 type device and to use it only on a USB 3 port.

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
Your current adapter is definitely holding you back.

There are plenty of good quality PCI-E type adapters on the market that can easily max out your 100m connection.

If you're limited to USB devices then there are also plenty of USB adapters that can handle those speeds. I'd recommend a dual antenna USB 3 type device and to use it only on a USB 3 port.
I only have USB 3 ports on my motherboard. Would there be an issue with the signal? Because they're at the back of my pc's case under my desk, not seeing enough light, hahaha.

kanewolf

Titan
I only have USB 3 ports on my motherboard. Would there be an issue with the signal? Because they're at the back of my pc's case under my desk, not seeing enough light, hahaha.
Unknown impact. The antennas behind the case can have signal limitations, especially for 5Ghz. The USB I recommended can be moved out from behind the case and has large antennas.
USB2 vs USB3 is not really an issue.