[SOLVED] I upgraded to a 4TB HDD and now I'm having issues accessing the old one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
So, as the title suggests, I recently got my grubby little mits on a much larger HDD and decided to use this as my main storage/boot drive for my PC. I installed Windows 10 and set it up. I was planning to access my old HDD as external storage and move things across as needed, but I am having issues with the permissions: View: https://imgur.com/SZ34col

Essentially, trying to move any file across results in a pop-up saying I need permission from the user (the one I am currently logged in as on my new HDD) to do so. I have attempted to change the security settings for individual files, and for the whole drive, without any success. I have also tried to boot with the previous smaller drive, but something about creating my user in the new drive has made me unable to access it that way. At a bit of a loss for what to do and would appreciate some advice.

So, as the title suggests, I recently got my grubby little mits on a much larger HDD and decided to use this as my main storage/boot drive for my PC. I installed Windows 10 and set it up. I was planning to access my old HDD as external storage and move things across as needed, but I am having issues with the permissions: View: https://imgur.com/SZ34col

Essentially, trying to move any file across results in a pop-up saying I need permission from the user (the one I am currently logged in as on my new HDD) to do so. I have attempted to change the security settings for individual files, and for the whole drive, without any success. I have also tried to boot with the previous smaller drive, but something about creating my user in the new drive has made me unable to access it that way. At a bit of a loss for what to do and would appreciate some advice.
How many drives did you have connected when you installed Windows? Windows does not work well if there is more than 1 drive connected at installation time. It might be easiest to just reinstall windows with just the 1 new drive connected.

At a bit of a loss for what to do and would appreciate some advice.
Execute this on folder, you're trying to access (from elevated command prompt).
Replace X: with appropriate drive letter and foldername with appropriate folder name.
takeown /f "X:\foldername" /r
icacls "X:\foldername" /reset /t

Note - do not run this command on c:\windows or you'll have to reinstall.

• What happens if you click on "Try again"?... If you're required the permission from the user (the one you're currently logged in as, on your new HDD), to give yourself permission, All you need to do is confirm the permission, by clicking "Try Again".

Last edited:

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for your replies!
Execute this on folder, you're trying to access (from elevated command prompt).
Replace X: with appropriate drive letter and foldername with appropriate folder name.
takeown /f "X:\foldername" /r
icacls "X:\foldername" /reset /t

Note - do not run this command on c:\windows or you'll have to reinstall.

This one seems to have done the trick. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.