[SOLVED] I upgraded to better ram and got a new monitor but lost FPS.

Clab12

Reputable
Jul 27, 2016
I use to play on 8GB of RAM and a 60hz monitor. I would get 150-200FPS on LoL depending on what settings I would play on. I upgraded to 16GB of ram and a 144hz monitor. And now I get 70-90FPS on medium settings. I am just curious as why the FPS dropped especially by that much. I have tried to look around on other websites and forums and so far all I have done which none of these things helped but, I read about changing my setting to XMP setting in the BIOS. I went to change it but all I had to change was XMP 2.0 and auto. It was already on Auto so I tried 2.0 and nothing happened. Also right below was a list of DDR4- and a whole bunch of numbers which I assume are the speeds so I selected the speed I have for my new ram which is 3600. Yet nothing happened. I have also changed it to 144hz on my computer. I also doubled checked to make sure that the ram is properly connected since my computer shows 16GB of RAM. I don't know if this is a thing or not since I am not super technical with computers but is possible that my motherboard doesn't support my RAM speeds?
PC build with 16GB:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Clab12/saved/#view=wzrKpg

Solution
setting XMP and AUTO then is probably not improving your speed as the motherboard will run at a safe vs optimized setting for RAM. check the RAM values in a utility like CPU-Z and take a snapshot and then check the RAM /JEDEC settings available to maybe tweak them manually. On the SSD you can manage you page file manually (Win 10 will allocate more with the increase in real RAM but you may not need it)

lowendlaptopsyay

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
a userbenchmark test MIGHT work, maybe somethings happened to your hardware (it might say running below expectations). ive seen this problem many times before but i dont know much about it
also, is the highest fps you get exactly 90fps??

Ryzen 2600X which is a Zen+ CPU. Forget running your RAM at 3600MHz. Your XMP is not sticking and you're probably running your RAM at 2133MHz right now.

With a Zen+ CPU you can go to 3200MHz and if 3200MHz doesn't stick try 2933MHz. You choose XMP 2.0 and you set the speed manually.

That 120GB SSD. How full is it?

Clab12

Reputable
Jul 27, 2016
Ryzen 2600X which is a Zen+ CPU. Forget running your RAM at 3600MHz. Your XMP is not sticking and you're probably running your RAM at 2133MHz right now.

With a Zen+ CPU you can go to 3200MHz and if 3200MHz doesn't stick try 2933MHz. You choose XMP 2.0 and you set the speed manually.

That 120GB SSD. How full is it?
I tried setting those settings and it didn't work and my SSD has 87GB free on it. The only thing on it is windows os and like some other program files.

setting XMP and AUTO then is probably not improving your speed as the motherboard will run at a safe vs optimized setting for RAM. check the RAM values in a utility like CPU-Z and take a snapshot and then check the RAM /JEDEC settings available to maybe tweak them manually. On the SSD you can manage you page file manually (Win 10 will allocate more with the increase in real RAM but you may not need it)

Solution