Question I upgraded to DDR4 from DDR3 RAM and did not notice a difference

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi - I bought 2 * 32 gb ECC (2400 mhz) RAM sticks and upgraded from 4 * 16 GB ECC RAM sticks (1666 mhz I think??)

A few years ago I posted here asking what the benefit of having fewer sticks of RAM was (i.e. 2 sticks of 32 GB or 4 sticks of 16GB for 64 GB RAM). I was told that having fewer sticks of RAM will be better - however I wasn't told by how much

Today, when I upgraded, I didn't really feel much of a difference to the speed of my computer

It almost feels the same.

Thoughts or ideas?

My purchase hasn't been in vain. I am building another computer so I still need 64 GB of RAM. I got lucky that I got 64 GB DDR4 of RAM for the price of DDR3 RAM - but in normal prices, I think going with DDR3 wouldnt have made a difference

Hi - I bought 2 * 32 gb ECC (2400 mhz) RAM sticks and upgraded from 4 * 16 GB ECC RAM sticks (1666 mhz I think??)

A few years ago I posted here asking what the benefit of having fewer sticks of RAM was (i.e. 2 sticks of 32 GB or 4 sticks of 16GB for 64 GB RAM). I was told that having fewer sticks of RAM will be better - however I wasn't told by how much

Today, when I upgraded, I didn't really feel much of a difference to the speed of my computer

It almost feels the same.

Thoughts or ideas?

My purchase hasn't been in vain. I am building another computer so I still need 64 GB of RAM. I got lucky that I got 64 GB DDR4 of RAM for the price of DDR3 RAM - but in normal prices, I think going with DDR3 wouldnt have made a difference
What mobo do you have?

TRENDING THREADS