[SOLVED] I used to be able to reach ~950Mbps, but in the recent 3 weeks I have been only getting 80-90Mbps.

Jun 29, 2021
I've recently in the past 3 weeks have been only able to reach a maximum of about 80-90 Mbps when I am paying for 1gig . I used to be able to reach ~950Mbps, but in the recent 3 weeks I have been only getting 80-90Mbps. I've updated drivers, used different ports, ran antivirus software, upgraded my motherboard and cpu and ram (about 2 days ago), and have had technicians come out and say there is nothing they can do. They come to my house, plug my ethernet cord from my computer into their personal device and are able to run ~950Mbps, however, when I plug it back into my computer it only runs at 80-90Mbps. This tells me the cord isn't the issue either and that the network isn't the issue. Everything in my computer just seems to be perfect, so I have no idea what could be causing it. I've replaced my motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but I just can't seem to get the speeds anymore. I've done eveything I know to do. I've done extensive searching with results that tell me to change settings, I've changed one setting to make sure it was on 1Gbps Full Duplex, but that didn't seem to do the trick either.

PC Parts list:
ROG Strix b550-f Gaming motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x CPU
MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super
Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 3600Hz RAM
500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Solution
I've recently in the past 3 weeks have been only able to reach a maximum of about 80-90 Mbps when I am paying for 1gig . I used to be able to reach ~950Mbps, but in the recent 3 weeks I have been only getting 80-90Mbps. I've updated drivers, used different ports, ran antivirus software, upgraded my motherboard and cpu and ram (about 2 days ago), and have had technicians come out and say there is nothing they can do. They come to my house, plug my ethernet cord from my computer into their personal device and are able to run ~950Mbps, however, when I plug it back into my computer it only runs at 80-90Mbps. This tells me the cord isn't the issue either and that the network isn't the issue. Everything in my computer just seems to...

kanewolf

Titan
I've recently in the past 3 weeks have been only able to reach a maximum of about 80-90 Mbps when I am paying for 1gig . I used to be able to reach ~950Mbps, but in the recent 3 weeks I have been only getting 80-90Mbps. I've updated drivers, used different ports, ran antivirus software, upgraded my motherboard and cpu and ram (about 2 days ago), and have had technicians come out and say there is nothing they can do. They come to my house, plug my ethernet cord from my computer into their personal device and are able to run ~950Mbps, however, when I plug it back into my computer it only runs at 80-90Mbps. This tells me the cord isn't the issue either and that the network isn't the issue. Everything in my computer just seems to be perfect, so I have no idea what could be causing it. I've replaced my motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but I just can't seem to get the speeds anymore. I've done eveything I know to do. I've done extensive searching with results that tell me to change settings, I've changed one setting to make sure it was on 1Gbps Full Duplex, but that didn't seem to do the trick either.

PC Parts list:
ROG Strix b550-f Gaming motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x CPU
MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super
Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 3600Hz RAM
500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
An ethernet cord working on one devices is NOT a guarantee of it working on all devices. ALWAYS start with a brand new factory made cat5e cable. Have the port speed and duplex set to AUTO on your PC.
That motherboard has the Intel 2.5Gb network interface. There HAVE been driver issues with that. Get the latest drivers from the Intel website for the I225-V .

Solution
Yep, a cable can become 'bad enough' that it won't work for gigabit with certain ports. I've seen this happen on some of my older cables.

Another test to run is to boot a linux live cd and see what type of speeds you get there. If you get full speeds there, then it isn't the cable, but probably a driver issue. If you get the same 80-90, definitely swap the cable as it is probably the cause, especially since it was working before.

Jun 29, 2021
Ok, I will do so. Do I need to use a specific cable like the Cat5e mentioned? Or should I just go straight to 6 or even further to 7 or 8? I know I don't have the speeds to reach what they are capable of, but are they any better at transfering data or frequency? I mean they are all somewhat inexpensive on amazon.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, I will do so. Do I need to use a specific cable like the Cat5e mentioned? Or should I just go straight to 6 or even further to 7 or 8? I know I don't have the speeds to reach what they are capable of, but are they any better at transfering data or frequency? I mean they are all somewhat inexpensive on amazon.
Bigger numbers aren't better. If you have a switch or router that supports faster than 1Gbit, then get a cat6a, unshielded. Otherwise get a basic cat5e 100% copper cable like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC

Jun 29, 2021
Ok, well I replaced my ethernet cable with a new cat6 and it didn't change anything. I'm still getting the 80-90Mbps range. Are there any settings that I could perhaps look at that somehow changed or do you have any other ideas that could potentially work?

What speed does it say it in the ethernet status screen for your connect speed. Is it 100mbps or 1gbit.

Have you tried to locate a new driver the 2.5g ports have lots of problems. It seems to be kinda hit and miss which driver is the best. I would try the latest and then one generation back if that does not work.

Do you have another device you can test with. Maybe it is the internet connection. Do you have a separate modem and router maybe it is that cable that is running at 100m.

If you have another device you can also try to run IPERF between the machines and see how fast that runs.

The next common recommendation is to run a linux usb boot image. That would quickly show you if it was something with the windows install. What I don't know is which image has driver support for the 2.5g ethernet. The intel chipset has been out for a while now so many likely have the support.