[SOLVED] I wanna buy a GPU can anyone suggest me which one is better Asus GTX 1060 OC 3gb or GTX 1650 OC 4gb

Solution
In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i also have i5-6600K with 16GB 3000 Mhz RAM and for GPU, i have MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G. Even despite the seemingly low VRAM amount of 3GB, i can play all of my games with high/ultra settings @ 1080p with 70 FPS to 144 FPS (depending on a game).

So, as i said above, i'd go with GTX 1060 3GB GPU.
You can have as much as 8GB of VRAM but if the GPU chip doesn't have the compute power then it doesn't match nor do better in games compared to more powerful GPU with less VRAM.

Also, GTX 1650 didn't review well due to it's high price and relatively low performance,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-1650-turing-gpu,6096.html
OMG....The Cyberpunk game isn't coming out soon enough. Most probably NEXT year, that too in Q2 2020. And, it is indeed going to be demanding on the Hardware as well, though it's TOO early to comment on the performance. No GPU is future-proof, by the way.

What's your CPU model ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While GTX 1650 has 1GB more VRAM than GTX 1060 3GB, GTX 1060 3GB has better performance and i'd go with latter,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/4039vs3646

GTX 1650 is GPU that falls in between of GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 3GB.

As far as Cyberpunk 2077 goes; here i can't tell how good of a GPU you need to play it at e.g 1080p high/ultra settings. But at current time, best GPU for 1080p gaming would be GTX 1660 Ti.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
OMG....The Cyberpunk game isn't coming out soon enough. Most probably NEXT year, that too in Q2 2020. And, it is indeed going to be demanding on the Hardware as well, though it's TOO early to comment on the performance. No GPU is future-proof, by the way.

What's your CPU model ?
i have a i5 6600k with 16 gb ram

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i also have i5-6600K with 16GB 3000 Mhz RAM and for GPU, i have MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G. Even despite the seemingly low VRAM amount of 3GB, i can play all of my games with high/ultra settings @ 1080p with 70 FPS to 144 FPS (depending on a game).

You can have as much as 8GB of VRAM but if the GPU chip doesn't have the compute power then it doesn't match nor do better in games compared to more powerful GPU with less VRAM.

Also, GTX 1650 didn't review well due to it's high price and relatively low performance,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-1650-turing-gpu,6096.html

Reactions: Siddhantha
Solution

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017

thanks for ur help dude. My friend is upgrading his pc so he wanted to know which one will be better for him and now he is going for GTX 1060 6gb But can u suggest me which one to go for MSI or Zotac.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That depends on a budget. If it's small, then Zotac offers best budget options. I, personally, would pay a bit extra and go with MSI and specifically Gaming X series model. MSI Gaming X series GPUs excel in silent operation (Zero Frozr) and GPU cooling (Torx 2.0 fans). Also, GPU length is 277mm, fitting into most of the PC cases.

Further reading: https://gpunerd.com/guides/best-gtx-1060-brand

Reactions: DMAN999

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
you can also look for a rx 580 8gb its better than 1060
Better? No. Equal? Not quite either.

While performance wise, RX 580 and GTX 1060 6GB are equal,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3923vs3639

RX 580 is 185W GPU (which is 5W more than GTX 1080 at 180W) while GTX 1060 6GB is only 120W GPU. Due to much higher power draw, RX 580 is in no way better from GTX 1060 6GB.

Also, with RX 580, i'd be comfortable using 600W range PSU while with GTX 1060 6GB, i'm comfortable with 500W range PSU. When needed, even good quality 450W PSU can be used to power GTX 1060 6GB. Last i checked, higher wattage PSUs cost more than their lower wattage counterparts.

Of course, there are also driver issues. Since RX 580 is Radeon GPU, AMD drivers are needed. Sadly, AMD drivers aren't compatible with as many games as Nvidia drivers are.

pctests99

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018

comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3923vs3639

RX 580 is 185W GPU (which is 5W more than GTX 1080 at 180W) while GTX 1060 6GB is only 120W GPU. Due to much higher power draw, RX 580 is in no way better from GTX 1060 6GB.

Also, with RX 580, i'd be comfortable using 600W range PSU while with GTX 1060 6GB, i'm comfortable with 500W range PSU. When needed, even good quality 450W PSU can be used to power GTX 1060 6GB. Last i checked, higher wattage PSUs cost more than their lower wattage counterparts.

Of course, there are also driver issues. Since RX 580 is Radeon GPU, AMD drivers are needed. Sadly, AMD drivers aren't compatible with as many games as Nvidia drivers are.
oh i didnt knew that do you know aything for dirver issues because i have a gtx 750 ti and i dont know why but with every driver that is .35 it works fine with other drivers my gpu crashes sometimes mostly with tencent emulator (pubg mobile) it has crashed only 4-5 times without opening that game, but with the .35 drivers the issue is fixed for everything else exept tencent emulator using windows 10 tried windows 7 and still the same i dont know about windows 8.1, but do you know is there a problem with my gpu or what ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
oh i didnt knew that do you know aything for dirver issues because i have a gtx 750 ti and i dont know why but with every driver that is .35 it works fine with other drivers my gpu crashes sometimes mostly with tencent emulator (pubg mobile) it has crashed only 4-5 times without opening that game, but with the .35 drivers the issue is fixed for everything else exept tencent emulator using windows 10 tried windows 7 and still the same i dont know about windows 8.1, but do you know is there a problem with my gpu or what ?
If you have problem to solve, make a new topic about it in appropriate subforum. Troubleshooting your issue here in this topic, where you are not the OP, is considered topic hijack and that is against forum rules.

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017

Well, I know about that. that's why I thought that gtx 1060 is the best option coz my friend have an only 550w power supply.

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
That depends on a budget. If it's small, then Zotac offers best budget options. I, personally, would pay a bit extra and go with MSI and specifically Gaming X series model. MSI Gaming X series GPUs excel in silent operation (Zero Frozr) and GPU cooling (Torx 2.0 fans). Also, GPU length is 277mm, fitting into most of the PC cases.

Further reading: https://gpunerd.com/guides/best-gtx-1060-brand
Thank you soo... much bro for helping me but my friend have bought a Zotac GTX 1660 ti coz there was very little difference b/t their price (gtx 1060.) Still u were a big help.
Thank You

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd say go with an RX 570 4GB or preferably 8GB. It'll outperform the 1650, and is the performance equal of the 1060 3GB, with maybe a bit better capability because newer games are starting to have issues with less than 4GB. As I recall, there are a small handful of games that the 1050 Ti (4GB) outperforms the 1060 3GB.

The 570 will draw a little more power than the 1060 (150W vs 120W), but is the more capable card, and available for significantly less money. Bang for buck blows the 1060 3GB out of the water.

There's even an RX 580 for less than the 1060 3GB, and a few 580s for the same price as the 1060 3GB. Yes, it uses more power, but how much extra money do you want to spend for power-savings?

Also - a decent 550W is more than enough for the RX 580. I've run a Windforce OC R9 285 (180W for non-oc versions of the 285) and a PowerColor RX 580 8GB (185W) against a stock Dell 460W PSU (which Dell advertises as handling up to a 225W video card) for years without issue.

What make and model is your power supply, @Siddhantha ? A good 550W PSU is more than enough for an RX 580, and a low-quality 550W PSU should be replaced no matter which video card you buy.

The complaints about AMD driver issues are absolute nonsense. I can't believe people keep regurgitating that nonsense.

EDIT: note, that my pricing info is based on US prices - if you are elsewhere, the situation may be different.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you soo... much bro for helping me but my friend have bought a Zotac GTX 1660 ti coz there was very little difference b/t their price (gtx 1060.) Still u were a big help.
Thank You
You're welcome. :)
GTX 1660 Ti is best GPU for 1080p gaming and it can do even 1440p gaming. Due to that, i'm also planning to upgrade my GTX 1060 3GB to GTX 1660 Ti.

I'd say go with an RX 570 4GB or preferably 8GB. It'll outperform the 1650, and is the performance equal of the 1060 3GB, with maybe a bit better capability because newer games are starting to have issues with less than 4GB. As I recall, there are a small handful of games that the 1050 Ti (4GB) outperforms the 1060 3GB.

The 570 will draw a little more power than the 1060 (150W vs 120W), but is the more capable card, and available for significantly less money. Bang for buck blows the 1060 3GB out of the water.

There's even an RX 580 for less than the 1060 3GB, and a few 580s for the same price as the 1060 3GB. Yes, it uses more power, but how much extra money do you want to spend for power-savings?

Also - a decent 550W is more than enough for the RX 580. I've run a Windforce OC R9 285 (180W for non-oc versions of the 285) and a PowerColor RX 580 8GB (185W) against a stock Dell 460W PSU (which Dell advertises as handling up to a 225W video card) for years without issue.

What make and model is your power supply, @Siddhantha ? A good 550W PSU is more than enough for an RX 580, and a low-quality 550W PSU should be replaced no matter which video card you buy.

The complaints about AMD driver issues are absolute nonsense. I can't believe people keep regurgitating that nonsense.

EDIT: note, that my pricing info is based on US prices - if you are elsewhere, the situation may be different.
Any particular reason why you downvoted my reply when i reminded pctests99 about forum rules?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any particular reason why you downvoted my reply when i reminded pctests99 about forum rules?

Yes, but not a good reason. I was scrolling to downvote the other post, and fumble-fingered, downvoting the rules one. I couldn't at the time remember the simple process of "click the same arrow you did before to undo your vote" to undo it. Fixed now.

Last edited:

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017

yes, he has corsair vs 550w PSU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
yes, he has corsair vs 550w PSU.
Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it. Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.

Here, i'd also go with new PSU. For GTX 1660 Ti, any 500W range Seasonic unit will do fine, e.g: Focus 550, Focus+ 550, PRIME Snowsilent 550 or PRIME Ultra 550 Platinum
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bkp323,KmgzK8,XndxFT,dstQzy/

Warranty wise:
Focus: 7 years
Focus+: 10 years
PRIME: 12 years (includes all PRIME models: regular, Fanless, AirTouch, SnowSilent, Ultra)

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Do note that since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC and if you care about your system, you do not want to use low quality PSU. The thing of low quality PSUs is that when (not if) they blow, they have very high chance to fry everything they are connected to. While with good/great quality PSUs, that chance is slim to none.

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it. Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.

Here, i'd also go with new PSU. For GTX 1660 Ti, any 500W range Seasonic unit will do fine, e.g: Focus 550, Focus+ 550, PRIME Snowsilent 550 or PRIME Ultra 550 Platinum
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bkp323,KmgzK8,XndxFT,dstQzy/

Warranty wise:
Focus: 7 years
Focus+: 10 years
PRIME: 12 years (includes all PRIME models: regular, Fanless, AirTouch, SnowSilent, Ultra)

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Do note that since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC and if you care about your system, you do not want to use low quality PSU. The thing of low quality PSUs is that when (not if) they blow, they have very high chance to fry everything they are connected to. While with good/great quality PSUs, that chance is slim to none.
I checked your all PC they are amazing but I really like the Intel setup and thanks for your suggestion I will ask my friend to upgrade his PSU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I checked your all PC they are amazing but I really like the Intel setup and thanks for your suggestion I will ask my friend to upgrade his PSU.
Thank you. :)
Though, which Intel setup of mine you're talking about? Since both Skylake and Haswell are Intel setups.

As far as new PSU goes and if Seasonic isn't available locally, besides Corsair units that i listed being on-par with Seasonic units, EVGA SuperNova series PSUs are also good, e.g T2, P2, B3, GS. Though, avoid the non-SuperNova PSUs from EVGA (e.g 500B) since they are equal to Corsair VS series. Besides EVGA, XFX is also good PSU brand to go for, e.g XFX TS series. Though avoid XFX XT series.

Reactions: Siddhantha

Siddhantha

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
Thank you. :)
Though, which Intel setup of mine you're talking about? Since both Skylake and Haswell are Intel setups.

As far as new PSU goes and if Seasonic isn't available locally, besides Corsair units that i listed being on-par with Seasonic units, EVGA SuperNova series PSUs are also good, e.g T2, P2, B3, GS. Though, avoid the non-SuperNova PSUs from EVGA (e.g 500B) since they are equal to Corsair VS series. Besides EVGA, XFX is also good PSU brand to go for, e.g XFX TS series. Though avoid XFX XT series.
sorry for late reply college XD and I like your Skylake setup it was cool.
And Thanks for eveythin. 😁