Question I wanna put windows ona diffrent drive but keep all my other files on my hard drive games, programs etc.

Aug 14, 2019
How do i put windows on an ssd when i already have it with all my other files on a hdd. I want to put windows 10 on my ssd but keep all the other files on my old hdd. Is it possible or do i have to just wipe the hdd and reinstall windows on the ssd and then all my other stuff on hdd?

D

Deleted member 14196

you don't, first, you back up your important data and docs, then you install os clean to your ssd, with no other hdd connected during install and reinstall your programs

there is no way to do what you propose.

D

Deleted member 14196

You can clone just the system partition of your drive to your SSD, but that would leave some system files stored in C: to stay on the HDD.
What is the size of your SSD?
this isn't what he asked for, a clone will transfer ALL files/programs/data to the new ssd. OP wants only windows and leave the rest as is, which won't work.

he knows what he wants, wipe it, install os on ssd, attach hdd again and install your stuff to hdd, but i would get a large enough ssd, so i could have all my os and programs, and just put games and my data on hdd

get at least a 500GB ssd, SATA3 is fine

this isn't what he asked for, a clone will transfer ALL files/programs/data to the new ssd. OP wants only windows and leave the rest as is, which won't work.

he knows what he wants, wipe it, install os on ssd, attach hdd again and install your stuff to hdd, but i would get an ssd so i could have all my os and programs, and just put games and my data on hdd

get at least a 500GB ssd, SATA3 is fine
I meant clone ONLY the system partition as shown in disk management
I know that it is possible with Macrium reflect

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, get a larger ssd if you can.

sounds like you wanted only os on ssd, which with a 240GB you need to do, is there any way you can get a 500GB or larger? even just a cheap Crucial MX500 would so wonders for you, they are great performers.

Aug 14, 2019
Ok all of this is confusing me. is there any solution or guide that you guys can reccommend me? and i will keep the ssd since i only need the os on it so its a bit faster. If i have some space on it i would put like photoshop or sony vegas on it nothing else probably.

If you can, return your ssd and get an MX500 500GB for around the same price.
Clone your stuff to the SSD, and you can backup and remove some media files if your stuff takes up more than 500 GB. Once done, wipe your hard drive and move the media files back onto it.
If you can't return it, then backup your files and do a clean install.

How do i put windows on an ssd when i already have it with all my other files on a hdd. I want to put windows 10 on my ssd but keep all the other files on my old hdd. Is it possible or do i have to just wipe the hdd and reinstall windows on the ssd and then all my other stuff on hdd?
Several options here. As others have stated, you can't just put Windows on one drive letter and data on another drive letter and expect it to "just work", as Windows has already mapped everything to c. However, there are some ways to work around this.
  1. Do you have games through Steam or other similar systems? Since all your data is kept a online, you can uninstall the game, clone to you SSD, then reinstall Steam from your hard drive (which you would have wiped and made your D:).
  2. Most individual games over the last decade keep saved games and configurations in MY Documents, so you can uninstall the game while the desktop is running Windows and re-install the game when the hard drive is just for storage, while all of your important data stays in My Documents untouched.

Joshua_99

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Gotcha now, No, just do a fresh install. Steam libraries can be re-linked, and the Docs,pics, and other folders can be remapped to go to the "slave" drive and function seamlessly.