Question i wanna try to overclock my intel core 2 q8300

Hi there,

To answer your question, yes you can do it, the how is more difficult. Also, the 8300 doesn't overclock that well, but still a little over stock.

Anyway, to make a long story short - you change FSB frequency from 333mhz which is quad pumped giving a CPU FSB 1333mhz, to maybe 400mhz, this will put the fsb at 1600mhz.

So the speed of the CPU at stock is 2.5ghz (333mhz x7.5). By changing the fsb to 400/1600 the clockspeed of the CPU will go up to (400 x 7.5) = 3ghz. However, most of those LGA775 mobo's unless the high end versions, have a 'FSB' hole, where no matter what setting you choose it won't boot. This could be as an example between 350-375mhz. So it takes a bit of tinkering around to get good results.

Now, if only it was as easy as that!! You have to increase voltage on your CPU to make it run at the faster speeds. You also have to test as you go, because otherwise, even if you get it to boot, it may crash like crazy.

TBH, you really should read some good guides. Google your CPU/Mobo combo, and look for overclocking guides. Then read, read and read some more.

Found this thread that might help you.

Edit: Sorry, didn't include the link. DOH :( : Asus P5Q SE Plus & Q8300 | Overclock.net

Last edited:
Reactions: Riven bot
And keep in mind that overclocking your cpu can destroy it. So unless you need to mess with this--turn off your computer and go to sleep instead. ;)

Sorry, this is not true. OC'ing a CPU can yield big improvements in terms of performance. This can sometimes help with gaming and increased FPS.

I would say that if you do something silly and pump some crazy amounts of voltage while OC'ing, this could potentially fry a CPU.

OC'ing is actually fun, and does give better performance if done correctly.

Reactions: aldan
Feb 18, 2021
Sorry, this is not true. OC'ing a CPU can yield big improvements in terms of performance. This can sometimes help with gaming and increased FPS.

I would say that if you do something silly and pump some crazy amounts of voltage while OC'ing, this could potentially fry a CPU.

thx man for this i have my main pc so i like have a 4 old cpus and trying new things like overclock so can one day if i need to do in on main i will know and have exp for that

This is absolutely true, especially with the q8xxx lga775 series. Do it wrong and you WILL fry it. These were never designed with any overclocking in mind so they don't have the 'dummy' protections that more modern cpus have.

You can squeeze more raw performance out of something with an OC, but you may not be running efficiently, potentially throwing 50% more power at it for a 20% gain. And the byproduct of this type of inefficiency is heat, which can kill the cpu.

Jan 12, 2021
CPU-Z Validation for my 3.9 ghz core2 quad Q6600 O'C' on xfx 790i Ultra SLi w/ 12gb of ram no less. This mobo only officially supports 8gb (stock 2.4ghz)

CPU-Z Validation for my 4.285 ghz Xeon X5470 w/ minimal overclock (771 to 775 mod) Same mobo and 12gb ram (stock 3.3ghz)

Could push it much higher but I've realized I'm done pushing this 775 chipset haha. I can't control nearly enough voltages in my legacy DOS bios. I've had this motherboard since 2009 when I first put this builld together and I've only had to replace a few fans besides a gpu and cpu upgrade. Still get stable 40-50fps in Borderlands 3 and other AAA titles. Just waiting on my i7-11700k to get here <3

CPU-Z Validation for my 3.9 ghz core2 quad Q6600 O'C' on xfx 790i Ultra SLi w/ 12gb of ram no less. This mobo only officially supports 8gb (stock 2.4ghz)

CPU-Z Validation for my 4.285 ghz Xeon X5470 w/ minimal overclock (771 to 775 mod) Same mobo and 12gb ram (stock 3.3ghz)

Could push it much higher but I've realized I'm done pushing this 775 chipset haha. I can't control nearly enough voltages in my legacy DOS bios. I've had this motherboard since 2009 when I first put this builld together and I've only had to replace a few fans besides a gpu and cpu upgrade. Still get stable 40-50fps in Borderlands 3 and other AAA titles. Just waiting on my i7-11700k to get here <3
Very interesting setups. I wonder with the ddr3 if you can't push these to 32GB of ram using 8GB modules. You still have some more pushing to do! ;)

Jan 12, 2021
Very interesting setups. I wonder with the ddr3 if you can't push these to 32GB of ram using 8GB modules. You still have some more pushing to do! ;)
Hahaha. I promised myself after the $70 xeon x5470 upgrade that it would be the last before I upgrade. Still worth it, Gonna have an extra PC for my father to play his old favorite classics on. Command and Conquer Red Alert and what not haha.Still shopping around components on this build. Here's hoping that I future proof this one for another12 years xD

My advice to anyone willing to overclock on a 775 chipset is to save yourself the trouble and do the 771-775 mod if your mobo supports it. You can buy xeon e5450 or x5450 chips dirt cheap. Less than $20 usually. I spent a little extra for the top tier x5470, but the 5450 chips o'c just as well.

Last edited:
Hahaha. I promised myself after the $70 xeon x5470 upgrade that it would be the last before I upgrade. Still worth it, Gonna have an extra PC for my father to play his old favorite classics on. Command and Conquer Red Alert and what not haha.Still shopping around components on this build. Here's hoping that I future proof this one for another12 years xD

My advice to anyone willing to overclock on a 775 chipset is to save yourself the trouble and do the 771-775 mod if your mobo supports it. You can buy xeon e5450 or x5450 chips dirt cheap. Less than $20 usually. I spent a little extra for the top tier x5470, but the 5450 chips o'c just as well.
haha, there is no endgame! lol! Well worth it if your dad gets to enjoy it. :) I built my dad an xp steadystate p4 3ghz system for his work and he loved it, and it still runs well. :) Unfortunately, it outlived him. Go and hug your dad--you'll never regret that you did.

I wouldn't do the 771 mod on the socket as these motherboards are getting rare. You can just as easily spend a tad more and get the 9xxx series 775 and just oc it.

Jan 12, 2021
haha, there is no endgame! lol! Well worth it if your dad gets to enjoy it. :) I built my dad an xp steadystate p4 3ghz system for his work and he loved it, and it still runs well. :) Unfortunately, it outlived him. Go and hug your dad--you'll never regret that you did.

I wouldn't do the 771 mod on the socket as these motherboards are getting rare. You can just as easily spend a tad more and get the 9xxx series 775 and just oc it.
Aww well dang. That got me right in the feels. Love grows by sharing it <3 Hope you are well and thanks for sharing!