[SOLVED] I wanna upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 3070 MT PSU

Oct 6, 2020
Hello guys. I wanna upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 3070 MT PSU, can a Corsair CV 550 fit in the case? I wanna be sure before buying. Thanks

Solution
Hello guys. I wanna upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 3070 MT PSU, can a Corsair CV 550 fit in the case? I wanna be sure before buying. Thanks
No, I don't think so. It appears to be a TFX type, and the CV is an ATX type so it won't fit. Also, the motherboard has proprietary connectors that a store bought PSU will not have. Upgrading these types of computers can be problematic.
No, I don't think so. It appears to be a TFX type, and the CV is an ATX type so it won't fit. Also, the motherboard has proprietary connectors that a store bought PSU will not have. Upgrading these types of computers can be problematic.

Solution
Agreeing with @Archaic59 here. Furthermore the motherboard seems to be powered by a proprietary 6 pin connector which will cause even more trouble in finding compatible PSUs for this.

615372_034066_05_front_zoom.jpg

Unless there's an upgrade option from Dell, there's very little you can do in changing the original PSU.

Reactions: Mercury Shivambu
Oct 6, 2020
Agreeing with @Archaic59 here. Furthermore the motherboard seems to be powered by a proprietary 6 pin connector which will cause even more trouble in finding compatible PSUs for this.

615372_034066_05_front_zoom.jpg

Unless there's an upgrade option from Dell, there's very little you can do in changing the original PSU.
For the 6 pin ATX power I have planned on getting a 24 pin to 6 pin ATX adapter. It works well for converting the 24 pin power to 6 pin power but I am worried about the size of the PSU

Oct 6, 2020
I have planned on getting A 24 pin to 6 pin ATX adapter since the store bought PSUs comes with a standard 24 pin power supply. I'm really worried about the size of the PSU

For the 6 pin ATX power I have planned on getting a 24 pin to 6 pin ATX adapter. It works well for converting the 24 pin power to 6 pin power but I am worried about the size of the PSU

I wouldn't recommend that. Why?

The adapter might work with some 6 pin Dell motherboards, but that's a newer system and you'll be surprised of how much these proprietary prebuilts will screw you when you're trying to upgrade. The pinout for your 6 pin might be different from the adapter (which might be suitable for older Dell motherboards).

In short, upgrading it wouldn't be advisable.
My question to you is: Why have you bought it? These are usually targeted to office use and nothing more.

Reactions: Mercury Shivambu
Oct 6, 2020
I wouldn't recommend that. Why?

The adapter might work with some 6 pin Dell motherboards, but that's a newer system and you'll be surprised of how much these proprietary prebuilts will screw you when you're trying to upgrade. The pinout for your 6 pin might be different from the adapter (which might be suitable for older Dell motherboards).

In short, upgrading it wouldn't be advisable.
My question to you is: Why have you bought it? These are usually targeted to office use and nothing more.
I bought it for gaming purposes, I thought it's very upgradable

I bought it for gaming purposes, I thought it's very upgradable
Sorry to tell you but you made a really bad choice for a system to upgrade for gaming. It's one of the worst to upgrade. I can see that it only has a single ram module, which hurts performance, so that will need to be upgraded as well, and finding a ram module that will be compatible with the one you have will be a new problem unless you remove it and get a new 2x8 kit and even that will have to be compatible with the Dell motherboard. I'd sell the Dell and start over or you can keep it and have the headaches that come with upgrading it. You can keep it as is and use it as an office pc, which it was designed for.

Jun 10, 2021
Sorry to tell you but you made a really bad choice for a system to upgrade for gaming. It's one of the worst to upgrade. I can see that it only has a single ram module, which hurts performance, so that will need to be upgraded as well, and finding a ram module that will be compatible with the one you have will be a new problem unless you remove it and get a new 2x8 kit and even that will have to be compatible with the Dell motherboard. I'd sell the Dell and start over or you can keep it and have the headaches that come with upgrading it. You can keep it as is and use it as an office pc, which it was designed for.
sell it and buy a optiplex 9020mt very good for gaming once upgraded