Question i wanna upgrade my gpu but my psu..

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
i wanna upgrade my gpu to Gigabyte GTX 1050ti windforce oc ,

but my psu is 300W it has 6-pin connector, will it work with the 6-pin 1050 ti? or should i get a card without the 6pin power?

ImAjE_

Reputable
Sep 14, 2016
If the psu can output most of its power on the 12v rail. What psu do you have? 1050ti draw low power, rated at 75w max power. In theory 300w is enough if the psu is good. Anyway 1050 ti makes no sense when for that money u get rx 570 which is superior,but you'd had to change the psu to a 400w one in that case.

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
If the psu can output most of its power on the 12v rail. What psu do you have? 1050ti draw low power, rated at 75w max power. In theory 300w is enough if the psu is good. Anyway 1050 ti makes no sense when for that money u get rx 570 which is superior,but you'd had to change the psu to a 400w one in that case.
rx 570 takes alot of power and also 8-pin connector, i don't wanna buy a new psu..
here's a pic of my psu
View: https://imgur.com/a/8wgyhDE

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
but the card needs at least 300watt psu based on nvidia website...what should i do?

Three things:
  1. Check the wattage requirements at outversion power supply calculator
  2. Throw your crappy PSU in trash
  3. Buy a good PSU with wattage mentioned from step-1. Search this forum for Corsair, Antec and Seasonic

There are two issues here.

1. How much power is needed for a GTX1050ti?
Assuming that the card is not a factory overclocked version the spec says a max of 75w which should be ok for your psu.
The spec for your GT 740 is 64w.
About the best card that will run under 64w might be a GT1030GDDR5 at 30w.
Most of your psu output is on +12v so you should be ok.

2. Is there a potential problem with your psu from a quality point of view?
Consensus is that your psu is a cheap unit not to be trusted.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

What to do??

Really, that is up to you, your budget, and risk tolerance.

Your I5-4460 is a nice processor that could game nicely with a card as good as a GTX1660ti.
That would want something like a 450w psu with an 8 pin pcie connector.
I like the Seasonic focus 450w with a 7 year warranty for $70
the 550w version is only $3 more
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-450-gold-ssr-450fm-450w/p/N82E16817151204

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

You decide, but when companies claim a certain wattage on a psu, many times it's an outright lie. I've seen 700w psus with nothing but a single 6pin pcie.
Shows exactly how much faith they have in their psu.
HEC is an OEM, as such they are quite capable of manufacturing very high quality and durable psus. For their house brand, that's never the case. HEC also is OEM for several of the psus in the video. I'd not rely on 300w capability from that unit, regardless of what's printed on the sticker.

Reactions: henry.j.kautz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It'll work. I don't trust it as far as I can throw it, but a) you have very limited budget, b) you have even more limited options

Of course bignastyid's suggestions are far superior. But you'll have to decide on risk. I distinctly remember one of the psus in the video was a CM Elite... The 600 is just the same, but it's well overpowered for the job.