Discussion I wanna upgrade

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
Hey guys, so I recently bought an HP prebuilt... I decided that I needed more power though and the integrated graphics aren't gonna cut it so I decided to get a GPU... The PSU ain't enough for a PSU so a new psu has to be added... The one installed though is proprietary so I also need a new Mobo as well... Given the fact that I must buy both a psu and a Mobo I decided to buy a new case as well since the gpu would restrict airflow in my tiny case a lot... So my question is... Can I actually make that work? Can I keep the CPU rams and disks and just buy a PSU a Mobo a case and the GPU and be ready to go?

Can I actually make that work?
with a new case, new motherboard, new power supply, & new GPU you have essentially built an entire new system.

as long as you have selected a proper power supply
and the included memory is compatible with the new motherboard you should be fine.
check motherboard manufacturer QVL to ensure.

before actually pulling the trigger you may want some input on the newly purchased components vs those in the pre-built though.
before voiding any warranties, missing any return dates, etc you should post all system details.

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
What are the complete system specs of the prebuilt?
Wow that's a fast reply man thanks:giggle::giggle:... CPU is a Ryzen 3 4300g installed in an am4 socket I'd guess ram is a Kingston dual kit... Another fail with the build is that the Mobo doesn't support xmp for my ram so I would have to change it even if I didn't have to change psu... The disks are two and HDD and an SSD and I don't have their specs given that they are the ones pre installed... Mobo exactly according to hp's site is an erica5 and the psu is a crappy 180w unit...

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
with a new case, new motherboard, new power supply, & new GPU you have essentially built an entire new system.

as long as you have selected a proper power supply
and the included memory is compatible with the new motherboard you should be fine.
check motherboard manufacturer QVL to ensure.

before actually pulling the trigger you may want some input on the newly purchased components vs those in the pre-built though.
before voiding any warranties, missing any return dates, etc you should post all system details.
Ye all I want is to keep the CPU the ram sticks and the disks since they are more than enough for what I need... I am new to pc building though... I know for example that my psu is proprietary so I need a new psu and Mobo but I don't know if the hard disks could be installed in a different case for example... Idk if there are different sizes or something

it almost seems pointless to go through with this "upgrade".
you will just be stuck with these proprietary Dell components and will have sacrificed a lot of the money spent.

a better option would seem to be just starting a complete new build and finding a new home for the pre-built; whether selling or gifting.

or if the system was purchased recently,
just returning the entire thing for a refund would be the best option.

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I don't think that starting over is really worth it exactly because this thing is crap xD... Pretty much I want a small budget build cuz I travel a lot and my gaming PC really is not that is to move from place to place... For that purpose the CPU is enough so I wanted to save the money for the CPU in order to get a better GPU... The ram kit is a kit I bought for my gaming PC last year it ain't much 16gb 3200mhz but for my programming and light gaming are pretty good... Now for the disks I may need some more space in the future but a replacement is not needed if there are not any other issues... I will actually think of replacing everything in the future but would it be fine if I kept CPU ram and disks for now?

USAFRet

Titan
CPU - OK, maybe keep
RAM - 4GB is not enough, and "adding" is unlikely to work. What is this 16GB you refer to?
Motherboard, PSU, case - All go away
Drive space - 128GB is TooSmall. Needs to be replaced.

Its your system and money, but there isn't a lot of this thing you can keep and be usable.

would it be fine if I kept CPU ram and disks for now?
then you would have spent WAY too much on these components.

getting rid of the entire system at or near purchase price and starting over with better components would actually save you money and get you a better system.

when did you purchase this pre-built?
HP usually offers up to 60 days return period.
if within that time frame, just return it.

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I replaced the 4gb ram stick with a 16gb dual kit I owned and I think it pretty ok for now at least... The SSD is very very small yeah but it also has an 1tb HDD idk if its not mentioned in the specs but it actually has one... So I thought for now that gpu's price are so ridiculously high I would better keep what I can keep and save for the GPU... I was thinking for a 1650 or a 1050 ti if I find a cheap one... Where I live a 1050 costs as much as a 1650 I really don't know why

Reactions: Why_Me

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
then you would have spent WAY too much on these components.

getting rid of the entire system at or near purchase price and starting over with better components would actually save you money and get you a better system.

when did you purchase this pre-built?
HP usually offers up to 60 days return period.
if within that time frame, just return it.

I don't know really... Given the fact that I am ok with those i thought just replacing the rest would be much much better since I am on a budget... I wouldn't buy something really that better anyway... Maybe a Ryzen 5 3600 instead of the 4300g but the difference ain't gonna be worth for the extra money I'd have to spent... And selling it I think would be pointless xD I know of many prebuilts in its price range waaaaay better than this

but the difference ain't gonna be worth for the extra money I'd have to spent... And selling it I think would be pointless
I don't think you understand how price per component vs whole system corresponds.

the listed price for this system with it's HP branding vs what you would pay for a higher performing custom build is quite significant.

if you can get the price paid for this junk system and put it towards a nice custom build you would be saving a lot of money and have a much nicer system.

Greek killer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I see what you mean but since I don't think there is any chance to find a buyer any time soon especially with those Christmas sales I think just keeping what I can is best for now if that could actually work... But if I find a buyer then yeah this trash can is not worth keeping... I will keep thinking about it for now if you guys have any other advices I'd more than appreciate it to hear them... Thank you all for now you are the best:giggle::giggle:

I don't think there is any chance to find a buyer
you haven't mentioned, but if it was relevant I guess you would have;
the purchase date of this HP system.

if it's still within return period, of course return it for total refund.

if it's within a year or so, you'd be surprised how many may want to purchase for a slight discount through local options; Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, local paper, etc...

Last edited: