[SOLVED] I want a RTX 3070, what changes do I need?

Dec 17, 2020
Hello,

What changes do I need if I want the RTX 3070?
btw im playing only csgo

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 10600
RAM: 2x8GB @ 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING LGA1200, Intel Z490
PSU: Gigabyte PSU AORUS 750W PFC Gold 80+
GPU currently: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Monitors: Asus LED VG248QE
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 250GB

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The only thing I can think of is maybe the monitor. It has neither GSync nor FreeSync, and so, can't take advantage of the adaptive refresh rates that modern GPUs allow for.

If you were to get a new monitor, I'd recommend one with FreeSync (Nvidia will call this "GSync compatible"). GSync is Nvidia-only, and costs more, whereas FreeSync will work for either Nvidia or AMD cards.

EDIT: Also, I am not familiar with Gigabyte's PSUs, so I can't say whether what you have is a high-quality unit or not. Wattage-wise, it's plenty, though. If it's got a long warranty (7 years or more), then that's also a reasonable indication that it's a solid unit.

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hello,

What changes do I need if I want the RTX 3070?
btw im playing only csgo

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 10600
RAM: 2x8GB @ 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING LGA1200, Intel Z490
PSU: Gigabyte PSU AORUS 750W PFC Gold 80+
GPU currently: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Monitors: Asus LED VG248QE
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 250GB

Thanks in advance!

I would keep the 2070 Super and go 5760x1080 on the monitors.

Dec 17, 2020
None.
Remove old card. Put in new card. Connect power to the card. Connect monitor to the card.
Done.

RTX 3070 is overkill for just csgo. If that's the only game you play, then such upgrade is pointless. Even RTX 2070S is overkill.
BTW how much GPU usage (in MSI afterburner) do you get currently?
i read in some websites that my cpu is abit weak for the rtx 3070 thats why i ask..
well i have some drops of fps even if i use all settings on low. i want stable 300fps and i dont get it with 2070. maybe i only need to upgrate my cpu?
how can i check how much gpu usage? :D

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There are people who believe that there's some "perfect" balance between CPU and GPU, and are obsessed with making sure that there's "absolutely no BOTTLENECK whatsoever" in their system.

Those beliefs are myths, the term "bottleneck" is abused/misused to the point of meaninglessness, and you probably should not ever take advice from such people.

For a given GPU and CPU combination, one game might be more demanding on the CPU, and another game might be more demanding on the CPU.

Your system is pretty good overall. I'd defer to others about what you do/don't need for CSGO, as I don't play that game and am not familiar with the demands that specific game puts on a system.