[SOLVED] I want AIO cooler recommendation for 5950x

Antiseptic

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Hi Guys,

I want AIO cooler recommendation for 5950x. My pc case is Phanteks P500A. Up to 420mm radiator can be placed on the front of this pc case. I am considering purchasing the Arctic Liquid Freezer II - 420 AIO cooler. Are there any other cooler brands and models you can recommend?

Solution
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280: offers more flexibility Vs the 420.
be quiet! Pure Loop 280: flexibility, and doesn't have the VRM fan, which adds another point of failure, as well as being a gimmick. No software required to operate.
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2: flexibility, no VRM fan, no software required. Want more RGB? Then check out the Prisma version instead.
NZXT Kraken X63: flexibility, no VRM fan, CAM software is required(experience may vary). Want something a little more flashy? Then check out the RGB version of the X63, or the Z63 instead.
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix: flexibility, no VRM fan, iCUE software required(experience may vary).

There's really not a lot a variety between hybrid coolers, so suggestions won't...
That is a very good cooler you have shortlisted. Here are some more from Tier 1. Focus on the 360/420mm units...

Last edited:
Reactions: Antiseptic

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
be quiet! Pure Loop 280: flexibility, and doesn't have the VRM fan, which adds another point of failure, as well as being a gimmick. No software required to operate.
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2: flexibility, no VRM fan, no software required. Want more RGB? Then check out the Prisma version instead.
NZXT Kraken X63: flexibility, no VRM fan, CAM software is required(experience may vary). Want something a little more flashy? Then check out the RGB version of the X63, or the Z63 instead.
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix: flexibility, no VRM fan, iCUE software required(experience may vary).

There's really not a lot a variety between hybrid coolers, so suggestions won't vary much.

More on the VRM fan gimmick: in the scenario that the VRM fan actually does anything(overheating VRMs), you've got bigger problems...

Flexibility: perhaps you've seen those popular radiator positioning videos...
Well, another way to look at them - 360 and 420mm models are inflexible, or lack flexibility, because the manufacturers don't change the tubing length at all from the smaller units.
Front mounting with tubes down is impossible with these units. Tubes up is the only way, but after an undetermined amount of time has passed, you will start hearing 'water running' or gurgling, as the air volume increases and more of it gets trapped at the inlet side of the radiator.
240s and 280s are short enough to get around this.

Reactions: Antiseptic
Solution

Antiseptic

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021

There's really not a lot a variety between hybrid coolers, so suggestions won't vary much.

More on the VRM fan gimmick: in the scenario that the VRM fan actually does anything(overheating VRMs), you've got bigger problems...

Well, another way to look at them - 360 and 420mm models are inflexible, or lack flexibility, because the manufacturers don't change the tubing length at all from the smaller units.
Front mounting with tubes down is impossible with these units. Tubes up is the only way, but after an undetermined amount of time has passed, you will start hearing 'water running' or gurgling, as the air volume increases and more of it gets trapped at the inlet side of the radiator.

Hello,

So you mean the radiators mounted on the top are more effective, did I get right? The top of my pc case (P500A) supports 360mm radiators. Currently I am using a Cooler Master ML240 V2 AIO, and my processor is Ryzen 5 3600X. I will start using the 5950x processor and I think the current cooler will not be enough. So if I mount the cooler as Pull-Push, will it work for the 5950x?

Antiseptic

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021

I guess I could not fully understand what you said (in relation to my English). Can you retell it a little more simply?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I like their nerve here - NH-D15 is Tier 2 and Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is Tier 1.
I tested TR's updated IB-E Extreme against the D15S several times, and the latter actually pulls ahead with higher power cpus, like the 7820X I'm using.
D15 has the more user-friendly mounting hardware, and it also doesn't require the user to use equally high rpm fans throughout their PCs like the Silver Arrow does, or it ends up choking on its own air when trying to run it at the higher rpms.
/sigh

Can you retell it a little more simply?
Which part?

Reactions: Hellfire13
I like their nerve here - NH-D15 is Tier 2 and Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is Tier 1.
I tested TR's updated IB-E Extreme against the D15S several times, and the latter actually pulls ahead with higher power cpus, like the 7820X I'm using.
D15 has the more user-friendly mounting hardware, and it also doesn't require the user to use equally high rpm fans throughout their PCs like the Silver Arrow does, or it ends up choking on its own air when trying to run it at the higher rpms.
/sigh
Yeah I know. The list is not usually accurate but gives you a rough idea at what to look at. Always good to do your own research over and above.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Antiseptic

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Which part?

This:

"Flexibility: perhaps you've seen those popular radiator positioning videos...
240s and 280s are short enough to get around this. "

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll post this, because I won't be up much longer.
So, you have the P500A, and it has the following restrictions in the front and top for AIOs:
Top: 360mm(3x 120), or 280mm(2x 140), with available clearance of 65mm.
Front: 360mm, or 420mm(3x 140), with total clearance of 95mm.

AIO tubing is generally 380-400mm long, for all sizes, which kind of sucks for 360 and 420. They really should be longer than that, IMO.

You were considering the Liquid Freezer II 420. It can only be mounted in the front with tubes up.
What's up with tubes up: Later in the cooler's life, it will start making noise - the 'running water' I mentioned earlier - and there will be nothing you can do about it, because there's no other way to mount the cooler, leading you to replace the cooler early, even though it's not dead/broken.

360mm offers a little more flexibility for your build; you can mount them at the top - still stuck with tubes up if you want to mount it at the front.

240 and 280mm offer the most flexibility for your build; can do top mount, front(tubes down), and front(tubes up).
Top mount = front(tubes down).

Just a suggestion, but reconsider options in the 280/360mm class instead.

Reactions: Hellfire13