[SOLVED] I want my power supply to be cooled with straight air cooling, not right angled.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Is it dangerous to use the power supply without its cover? I want to position the fan so it blows across the heat sink, not so it has to move in a right angle to exhaust. I'd consider using a server type but they use smaller fans so it would be way too loud.
I'm trying to add a photo of this thing but I see no way of doing this. Insert, Media just allows an URL. ??? Surely they allow photos to be displayed in forums. Its such a good way of displaying what you're talking about. Or do I have to post it online, then link to it?

Solution
Better airflow. I'm trying to get to a point where the power supply fan hardly needs to run at all. I wonder if that's more easily attained by simply going with a much larger power supply than I really need.

There are PSU's with semi-fanless modes. The Corsair RMx and Seasonic Focus are two excellent examples of this and are of high quality.

You don't want to screw around with PSU casing. It's a safety issue on a couple of levels.
" Or do I have to post it online, then link to it? "
as far as I know.....this is what you have to do.

as far as ....is it dangerous to run without the cover.

I think you can run without the cover as long as you're careful not to short anything or drop anything in there.....and keep your hands out of there when it's on.

Is it dangerous to use the power supply without its cover? I want to position the fan so it blows across the heat sink, not so it has to move in a right angle to exhaust. I'd consider using a server type but they use smaller fans so it would be way too loud.
I'm trying to add a photo of this thing but I see no way of doing this. Insert, Media just allows an URL. ??? Surely they allow photos to be displayed in forums. Its such a good way of displaying what you're talking about. Or do I have to post it online, then link to it?

This is highly inadvisable. Why would you consider such a move to begin with

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
This is highly inadvisable. Why would you consider such a move to begin with
Better airflow. I'm trying to get to a point where the power supply fan hardly needs to run at all. I wonder if that's more easily attained by simply going with a much larger power supply than I really need.

Last edited:

There are PSU's with semi-fanless modes. The Corsair RMx and Seasonic Focus are two excellent examples of this and are of high quality.

You don't want to screw around with PSU casing. It's a safety issue on a couple of levels.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS