I want proper guidance for installing ubuntu on hp 2312ax pre installed win8 and its UEFI and Legacy supported

Ninad Thorat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Once I tried installing ubuntu. I booted from usb and selected the very first option "Install ubuntu alongside win8". All installation completed normally and then it asked for restart. After restart no option for selection of os showed up. I disabled the secure boot and enabled the legacy support but nothing worked. It always boots in windows 8. Then after 2 days i repaired my MBR and BCD from win8 recovery command promt. Now i want to install ubuntu againg but on different 30 gb partiton. I hope i could solve my problem here. Thanx in adv for any help. my spece: hp 2312ax apu a10 64 bit. 4 gb ram 1tb hdd

Solution
You don't need /boot partition, and your swap partition is probably too big (I have mine at 1gb). If you plan to install a lot of apps (instead of storing a lot if photos / data in your home folder), then 7gb for root are probably too small.

If you plan to use EasyBCD - put the boot loader in your Linux partition.
G

What version of Ubuntu did you try to install? If you tried 12.04 it's going to be hard. There is a wiki on their website on how to install it on a Windows 8 system.

It seems it is easier on 13.04, but honestly it only has a 9 month support cycle (now it's 6 months) so it's not worth it so much (at least to me) it would be better to just wait for 14.04 LTS to come out and run Ubuntu in a virtual machine inside of Windows 8 for now (12.04 LTS).

Good Luck.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-system-uefi-supported

- make separate partition(s) for your Ubuntu. "Alongside" installation means that Linux partition is stored as a large NTFS file under Windows, and getting there might be problematic
- when asked about boot loader location, specify your new partition, do not install it on your primary Windows partition;
- reboot into Windows; install EasyBCD, it is an excellent tool for boot management. Add your Linux install as boot option.

Ninad Thorat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

hmm, i already have easybcd installed. Once when i was playing around with easy bcd i messed up BCD of windows and have to repair it. :p , But ill now try it again by installing a ubuntu in separate partition. But i really don't understand the ubuntu's partition dialog box when installing. Will see -_-

Ninad Thorat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

As i was installing ubuntu i came across a problem :(
i gave 7gb for Root
4gb as swap
10ggb as Home
Should i also need to creat partition for /boot. if yes then how much memory ?
what should i select for boot loader instillation? so that it gives me choice to select os at startup.
And how add new entry in easybcd?

You don't need /boot partition, and your swap partition is probably too big (I have mine at 1gb). If you plan to install a lot of apps (instead of storing a lot if photos / data in your home folder), then 7gb for root are probably too small.

If you plan to use EasyBCD - put the boot loader in your Linux partition.

Solution

RG16

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I have the same model and I am posting answer cuz I couldn't find one.

Installation:

First download Linux-Secure-Remix 64 bit from this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxSecureRemix

create a live usb, make some free space for ubuntu in disk manager, restart -> go to bios options -> disable secure boot & enable legacy support, change boot order and keep usb on top.

Boot from live usb -> select install -> choose something else option -> create swap area -> bios grub area (at least 1 mb) -> ext4 partition
-> format ext4 partition & install ubuntu in it.

Now reboot, you won't see ubuntu in GRUB menu, don't worry.
Go to bios -> Disable legacy support -> reboot again with live usb -> run Boot-Repair utility -> do as it says. Reboot & done!

Heating Issue:

When I tried to install ubuntu my machine switched off in 3 trials because of over-heating. Then I placed my machine on top of a switch rack in my lab, which exhaust air from top of rack, this air kept my machine cool until the installation. :)
you can try to use a laptop cooler or put your laptop in fridge(I read this one somewhere, it worked they said!)

after installation

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

and add echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch before exit 0
Reboot and your discrete graphics card will be switched off at each reboot.

To further reduce heat, use laptop-mode-tools, install using:
sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools

now, if you want to monitor the heat sensors, use instructions from this page:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/07/monitor-hardware-temperature-in-ubuntu.html

Hope this helps!
-Rahul