I want the best of the best help please

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Money is not of concern. I want the best vid card i can get. Purely the best card there is. For future aplications and present. This card will be strictly used for gaming. If I have to wait few weeks to get this card that is not a problem.

Please list instructions on how to install these cards in the best way. Also where to buy this card at please. Thank you for your help inadvance.

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
You see I am confused on this subject matter. From what I have read the ATI x800 xt out performs the Nvidia 6800 ultra, but doesnt have the image quality, and texture quality that the ultra has. I might be wrong but it seems pretty true that the Nvidia card run games smoother and with less glitches in overall texture areas.

What I mean is ATI will have a driver that runs great, but when the next drivers comes out to optimize, stabalize, and introduce new advancements there are at times some little tiny glitches in graphic areas. But then again ATI screams past nvidia's performance.

But then again Nvidia seems to have more stable drivers and run games at a more quality level. I am not a fan boy of either company I just want my games to scream with peformance and quality at the highest levels.

I need concret evidence on which card to buy. What is the investment here. Which card is the highest golden standard in gaming perfection. what is the card that will stand the 1 year test of time till the neweset cards come out. What is the fatest card. What card can I raise above my head in one hand and feel like a lighting bolt has struck it and given me the power of the gods?

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
ATi doesn't beet nV in performance or quality not with this set of cards. Wait till the retial reviews are out you will see a big difference. WHQL dirvers for nV is about to be released. Don't ask where this info came from, but Shader 3.0 is also supported!

Yes, of course spend your money on a card that's as elusive as the magic drivers that make them better.

As for SM3.0, by the time the games that need it or even benifit greatly fom it are out, there will be many more cards that do it far better than anything out there right now.

I do agre with one thing though. If you want the best of the best, wait until the PCI-EX are on the table to see the entire line-up.

BTW, you BUY the BEST card at BEST BUY of course, and you install the best card with silk gloves, with the best intentions and best laid plans, or else it really isn't the best now is it? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
But dont I need a pci express mother board? Is pci express really that huge of a leap over agp 8x? Also Great Grape Ape from what your telling me it sounds like you recommend the x800 xt. I am I right?

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
pci express wait for it for a full computer upgrade otherwise its not that important, just ask yourself how often do you upgrade your system?

if ya do it ever year then don't bother with it now.

if ya do it every 2 years it might be a good time to wait and buy it now.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
-----------------------------------------------------
What is the fatest card. What card can I raise above my head in one hand and feel like a lighting bolt has struck it and given me the power of the gods?
------------------------------------------------------
lol, rather high expectations for a piece of plastic ain't it? Sure you aren't looking for a wife? I'm sure the card gets warm but I doubt it is very snuggly, he he.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
he said best of the best, no money concerns.

Therefore buy the 6800 Ultra when it comes out.

Disregard all the talk about the x800 being "better" because the features of the 6800 arent used yet. Yeah its a beter card for the money and for what most anyone would use it for, but....you said you wanted the best of the best, so whether or not you can use the features is irrelevent. The 6800 is still marginally faster, with essentially the same IQ, but will probably be more expensive when it comes out.

Keep in mind that card takes up 2 slots and requires 2 direct power lines from at least a 400w power supply.
ANd that right there, my friends, is the biggest downside of the 6800 Ultra (aside from the fact it doesnt really exist off of paper)

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Ditto, some board partners will have one slot solutions with one connector. Not sure which ones though. We have 2 of those boards and they actaully run on a 300, but if your comp is loaded you will need at least a 350-400.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I would go for 6800U, especially if you have a big monitor. Didn't the 6800U do a lot better at higher resolutions?

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
no only the BEST can install the BEST video card in BEST buy :D therefore send the card over here and i'll give u the BEST service installing it for you

heh heh heh...

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
hey CS, youre a BBY employee too?

P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
maybe in the near future :p not yet :D

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.bestbuy.com" target="_new">http://www.bestbuy.com</A>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
come alittle closer and i'll show you

Atreidae

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
"based on current numbers achieved in benchmarks we believe that the RADEON X800 XT clearly packs the punch over the competitor in terms of performance in applications that use shaders 2.0/2.x and are available today." - www.xbitlabs.com

"the new performance leader is ATi's Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition" - www.tomshardware.com

"but depending on what the test results for our 6850 Ultra end up looking like, we may end up recommending that NVIDIA push their prices down slightly (or shift around a few specs) in order to keep the market balanced. With ATI's performance on par in older games and slightly ahead in newer games, the beefy power supply requirement, two slot solution, and sheer heat generated by NV40 may be too much for most people to take the NVIDIA plunge. The bottom line is the consumer here, and its good news all around." - www.anandtech.com

i can go on like this all day...maybe its just me...but i currently have a 9800 pro and i am gonna buy the x800 xt pe when it comes out (hopefully soon) but i think that it is ultimately up to you....it all depends a lot on what the gaming industry decides to do...if they do go with 3.0 then the ultra may take the lead...we also have to wait for a supposed dx 9.0c...the size and amount of power taken up is also a problem for nvidia...but i think that ati is a better choice...just my 2 cents worth