[SOLVED] I want to add 8GB memory to my laptop with existing 8GB memory.

Feb 4, 2021
I'm not sure what 8GB RAM I must install.

I'm using Fedora. To get RAM info, I used
Bash:
sudo lshw -class memory

This references a Kingston RAM. I was hoping to go for this: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01BIWKP58/?cstrackid=89315117-ce98-43d4-8226-7e3303ba6ffb&tag=micronin-21

Is this good and compatible with the one in my laptop?

Code:
  *-memory

description: System Memory

physical id: d

slot: System board or motherboard

size: 8GiB

*-bank:0

description: [empty]

physical id: 0

slot: ChannelA-DIMM0

*-bank:1

description: SODIMM DDR4 Synchronous 2667 MHz (0.4 ns)

product: ACR26D4S9S8HJ-8

vendor: Kingston

physical id: 1

serial: 7D768999

slot: ChannelB-DIMM0

size: 8GiB

width: 64 bits

clock: 2667MHz (0.4ns)

*-memory UNCLAIMED

description: RAM memory

product: Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 14.2

bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2

version: 10

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz (30.3ns)

capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list

configuration: latency=0

resources: memory:a4514000-a4515fff memory:a451a000-a451afff

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your laptop? I looked through the contents of your thread's body and noticed the stick of ram in your laptop at the time of writing is a Kingston unit while the link you've shared is that from Crucial. Please don't mix and match sticks of ram if you want to keep an intact head of hair(to avoid hair pulling during troubleshooting).

Also, you should power down the laptop, then extract the stick of ram from the laptop to see what the sticker says, then source either the same stick of ram or invest in a dual channel ram kit.

Feb 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your laptop? I looked through the contents of your thread's body and noticed the stick of ram in your laptop at the time of writing is a Kingston unit while the link you've shared is that from Crucial. Please don't mix and match sticks of ram if you want to keep an intact head of hair(to avoid hair pulling during troubleshooting).

Also, you should power down the laptop, then extract the stick of ram from the laptop to see what the sticker says, then source either the same stick of ram or invest in a dual channel ram kit.

Thank you very much but the problem is, I cannot open it myself. There's a warranty sticker on the bottom which on removal, voids my laptop warranty. My laptop can only be opened by the laptop's customer service. I have to order a RAM stick before that customer service guy could come to my home and add it for me. They'll charge heavily if they do it.