I want to add a 4th monitor

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
So, I was being curious and i added a 2nd video card to my machine and installed a 4th monitor which seemed to work just fine but i noticed that in doing so it uninstalled my AMD videos drivers ( i think it was 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql) The 4th monitor and 2nd video card worked fine i was able to set it up and place it under my middle monitor in the screen resolution option.

Everything worked ok until i decided to re-install my video driver and after doing so my 4th monitor just wont work. I can detect it but it is greyed out no matter what i do. for display it is saying 4. Display device on: VGA. When i hit extend desktop to this display and click on apply i get an error message saying The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings. I even try uninstalling my drivers and i cant seem to get it working now. I know the gcard is working cause its louder than my main card and i can hear it.

I have

windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
GA-870A-UD3
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 3400 mhz 4 cores
AMD Radeon HD 7870 running 3 monitors HDMI, DVI, mini display port

my 2nd video card is a 4600 series and the monitor is connected via VGA cable with a dvi extension

my rigs works great in eyefinity or with my 3 displays. I was just curious why it work with the 2nd gpu then suddenly stopped once i updated the driver and if there is a way to use 4 monitors since i had an extra one laying around.

thanks!

Solution
I'm guessing it is a limitation enforced by the drivers.
You are right that you can't use the DSUB output on your existing card.
The only way to add a fourth monitor to this card is using an MST hub on the displayport output.
If you really want that fourth monitor to work, a cheap Nvidia card should do the trick.

If Eyefinity is enabled, your second AMD graphics card won't work.
If you disable Eyefinity, you should be able to use all four monitors on the desktop but games will only run full screen on the main display.

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

I am not using Eyefinity in the attempted to use the 4th monitor. It is currently disabled

Strange, I would expect this to work.
In order for Eyefinity to work with multiple cards they need to be in Crossfire and all monitors must be attached to one of the cards.
The same is true for Nvidia 2D surround and SLI.
You should be able to run 4 displays from your HD 7870 if you want.
The card will only have one DSUB or DVI-I connection though so more than one VGA monitor would require an active adapter.
You can have a total of two monitors connected by DVI/HDMI/VGA, then any additional monitors must be display port or use an active display port adapter.

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Yea, my card only has 4 slots total and i already used dvi, hdmi, and the display port. The last remaining is the Dsub which im assuming wouldn't work even if i had another cable since i can't connect the extension that i have to it.

Any idea why it worked until i decided to update the driver on my machine? Worked meaning on the 2nd video card using dvi-vga

I'm guessing it is a limitation enforced by the drivers.
You are right that you can't use the DSUB output on your existing card.
The only way to add a fourth monitor to this card is using an MST hub on the displayport output.
If you really want that fourth monitor to work, a cheap Nvidia card should do the trick.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS