I want to add a second HHD to my computer. My PSU has 1 molex not being used. Can I use an adapter & use that for power?

truckerkel

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
My psu has no other plug available other than a molex. Will that supply enough power for my Second HHD with an adapter? psu is 680 watt if it helps. Can you tell I am new at this?

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Maybe; It depends. 1. Your power supply must be capable of providing the power needed, regardless of how many molex connectors you may have free. It is likely that it can. 2. An adapter will not provide the 3volt power rail which some SATA drives require. In most cases it will work, but if it doesn't work, then you can bet it is because that drive requires a 3volt power source in addiction to the 5v and 12v supplied by the molex. If you need a real SATA power connector and wish to splice it to your existing power supply then look at this Tom's Hardware question for the answer to that: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257333-28-where-sata-power-connector-only

I found out recently that the average power requirement for a SATA drive is 10 watts and less. But since we have no way of knowing if your system was maxed out on power with two or more video cards, there was really no way to say with certainty that your system could handle an additional 10 watts. But I did mention it was likely that it could.