I want to add a switch to a modem and from the swithc I would like to cable it t

vlad_71

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
On the first floor I have my time Warner modem and have several pc connected via a cisco wireless modem. I would like to have several computers stay down stairs connected to the moder (via switch) and ha\ve the modem connected upstairs so I can get a maximum wirless coverage and more computers connected via ethernet on the second floor.

So possibly MODEM - SWITCH (TO SEVERAL PC'S VIA WIRE) - WIRELESS MODEM (UPSTAIRS)

Please help

vlad_71

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

It depends on what the devices you call modems really are.

In general you only get a single IP address from the provider. This mean only 1 Pc can be connected to a true modem. To share this single IP you normally assign it to a router and let it share.

So if the equipment you have are truly modems then your design will work since the vendor allows you to have multiple real ip address. I doubt this is true but if you really can today hook up multiple PC then it will be fine to add some more.

If both the units are routers then it will also work fine the way you have described. There is a issue if your machines on the switch need to access data on stuff behind your cisco "router". If you do not have that requirement things will be fine.

The way it will not work is if the time warner box is a modem and your cisco is a router. This means time warner only allows you 1 IP so you cannot put a switch in front of your router since they will not get IP. You would need a different solution than a switch to solve this.