I want to add an SSD to my system but don't know where to start, Windows installation whise.

Apr 17, 2018
So I want to add an SSD to my system but don't know where to start, Windows installation whise.
Like do I have to use a media creation usb drive and install windows again but on the ssd and then it'll just boot up into windows after I set my boot priorities? or do I have to like delete windows as well from my hard drive? i've never had to upgrade a pc by adding an SSD so I need some help lol
Thanks.

Specs:
Asus X99 ROG STRIX Gaming Motherboard
I7 6800k
600 watt EVGA PSU
1tb Seagate barracuda
GTX 980 ti
8gb GEIL RGB ram

Solution
The preferred route would be a clean install, but cloning the drive is an option too.

Cloning requires you to ensure your current drive space used to be <the new SSD capacity (ie can't clone 1TB to a 250GB SSD etc).
Free software exists - and some SSDs even come with keys for software.
Connect the SSD as a secondary drive, fire up the cloning software and clone all partitions from the HDD and clone to the SSD.

A clean OS install would require you to create install media:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Connect the SSD and boot from the USB created (it might help to disconnect the HDD at this point).
Boot from the USB, direct it to install to the SSD. (skip when prompted for a key - you'll activate when...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The preferred route would be a clean install, but cloning the drive is an option too.

Cloning requires you to ensure your current drive space used to be <the new SSD capacity (ie can't clone 1TB to a 250GB SSD etc).
Free software exists - and some SSDs even come with keys for software.
Connect the SSD as a secondary drive, fire up the cloning software and clone all partitions from the HDD and clone to the SSD.

A clean OS install would require you to create install media:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Connect the SSD and boot from the USB created (it might help to disconnect the HDD at this point).
Boot from the USB, direct it to install to the SSD. (skip when prompted for a key - you'll activate when online) Let it complete.

Once fully installed, ensure the SSD is set to boot priorty #0 or #1 in the BIOS.
Reconnect the HDD, and migrate data/files to the SSD.

Once you have everythign you need on the SSD, you can format the HDD to remove Windows, and can then utilize it as secondary/bulk storage.

Solution