[SOLVED] I want to add G.skill 8gb ram with my EVM 2gb DDR3 will they both work together fine ?

Jul 29, 2020
I want to buy G.skill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL and I have gigabyte h61-S2P-R3 motherboard 2 sticks of(EVM) 4 GB ram dual channel if I remove one stick and add G.skill ram will they both work together fine like 2+8=10 ? If not then can I use one stick of 8gb in dual channel motherboard .

Solution
I will buy 1x8gb kit for now in future it will be easy for me to upgrade my ram to 16gb if I buy 2x4gb kit then I'll be unable to upgrade, does dual channel and single channel affect gaming fps ?
You would want to be running dual channel on older computers, but it's not that big of an issue on newer systems running a single DDR4 2666-2933 module. Older and slower ram in single channel mode affects fps much more than newer DDR4 ram. It mostly depends on the game you are playing and how much it's affected by slower ram speeds and single vs dual channel mode.

You might find you have no real performance drop, but I suggest getting a 2x4GB or 2x8GB kit to begin with or try to get a second 8GB module with the same specs as soon as...
I want to buy G.skill F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL and I have gigabyte h61-S2P-R3 motherboard 2 sticks of(EVM) 4 GB ram dual channel if I remove one stick and add G.skill ram will they both work together fine like 2+8=10 ? If not then can I use one stick of 8gb in dual channel motherboard .
Adding an 8GB module to a 2GB module is a bad idea. It may not work because of compatibility issues. If it does work, it may only be in single channel mode for 10GB or it may run in hybrid/asynchronous mode.

The hybrid/asynchronous mode will either only use 2GB of the 8GB module and ignore the rest or use 2GB for dual channel operation until you fill up the 8GB module past 2GB and then drop to single channel speed. Buy a 2x4GB kit if you want to keep dual channel mode or buy a 2x8GB kit if you need 10+GB in dual channel mode.

Reactions: Ajit nohara
Jul 29, 2020
Adding an 8GB module to a 2GB module is a bad idea. It may not work because of compatibility issues. If it does work, it may only be in single channel mode for 10GB or it may run in hybrid/asynchronous mode.

The hybrid/asynchronous mode will either only use 2GB of the 8GB module and ignore the rest or use 2GB for dual channel operation until you fill up the 8GB module past 2GB and then drop to single channel speed. Buy a 2x4GB kit if you want to keep dual channel mode or buy a 2x8GB kit if you need 10+GB in dual channel mode.
I will buy 1x8gb kit for now in future it will be easy for me to upgrade my ram to 16gb if I buy 2x4gb kit then I'll be unable to upgrade, does dual channel and single channel affect gaming fps ?

You would want to be running dual channel on older computers, but it's not that big of an issue on newer systems running a single DDR4 2666-2933 module. Older and slower ram in single channel mode affects fps much more than newer DDR4 ram. It mostly depends on the game you are playing and how much it's affected by slower ram speeds and single vs dual channel mode.

You might find you have no real performance drop, but I suggest getting a 2x4GB or 2x8GB kit to begin with or try to get a second 8GB module with the same specs as soon as possible if you experience a drop in fps. I personally wouldn't invest in 2x8GB for such an old system unless I was running at least an i7 CPU.

Also, unless you are running an i3/5/7 3000 series CPU like an i5-3570 or i7-3770, you won't be able to run the new module at it's advertised 1600MT/s, because of CPU and motherboard chipset limitations.

Solution
Jul 29, 2020

You might find you have no real performance drop, but I suggest getting a 2x4GB or 2x8GB kit to begin with or try to get a second 8GB module with the same specs as soon as possible if you experience a drop in fps. I personally wouldn't invest in 2x8GB for such an old system unless I was running at least an i7 CPU.

Also, unless you are running an i3/5/7 3000 series CPU like an i5-3570 or i7-3770, you won't be able to run the new module at it's advertised 1600MT/s, because of CPU and motherboard chipset limitations.

Thx dude u just save my money I saw in YouTube dual channel ram are far better than single in GTA 5,BF1 30fps difference that's huge for me I'm gonna get 2x4gb kit
And my CPU is i5 3470 its pretty old tho,thanks again explaining me everything I appreciate your help ☺🤗.