[SOLVED] I want to add RAM, new kit or just add sticks ?

Worlr

Reputable
Nov 21, 2019
Hi.
I want to add ram to my system.
I’m using 2x8 gb 3200 kit from 3 years ago.
I want to get a total of 32.
should I buy a new 16x2 kit or just add another 2x8 same kit?

thanks

Solution
Buy new kit in size you want.

If you have a 3000 series Ryzen cpu, or prior, they do not like 4 sticks of high speed memory. Usually takes quite a bit of tampering with timings and you'll be lucky to get 3200MHz from 4 sticks.
5000 series is good with 4 sticks.
Intel is good with 4 sticks.
Both are better with 2 sticks, less wear and tear on the memory controller.

That's not including any of the adventures you may or may not get into trying to get 2 different kits to actually work together. Mixing kits has 3 results. They either work, work with tampering, don't work at all. All that is done prior at the factory by ppl with access to thousands of sticks to make a full balanced working kit, guaranteed to work. You at home have 2...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Buy new kit in size you want.

If you have a 3000 series Ryzen cpu, or prior, they do not like 4 sticks of high speed memory. Usually takes quite a bit of tampering with timings and you'll be lucky to get 3200MHz from 4 sticks.
5000 series is good with 4 sticks.
Intel is good with 4 sticks.
Both are better with 2 sticks, less wear and tear on the memory controller.

That's not including any of the adventures you may or may not get into trying to get 2 different kits to actually work together. Mixing kits has 3 results. They either work, work with tampering, don't work at all. All that is done prior at the factory by ppl with access to thousands of sticks to make a full balanced working kit, guaranteed to work. You at home have 2 extra sticks and no other recourse but RMA.

Mixing kits will most often work, sometimes fails. Crossing the street at a busy intersection, 'most often works out' means there's a very good chance of not quite making it across the street....

Your decision. Take your chances or go with the guaranteed results.

Solution