Question I want to auto-shutdown DAILY. Do I Uncheck this Option?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

- I've currently setup a autoshutdown in Task Scheduler (just run shutdown.exe with /s) Daily at specific time.
- I've also setup a auto turn on (RTC Daily within Bios), tested both and they both worked fine!

XxZqEWD.png

Question
I want this auto-shutdown daily to run every single day forever. Do I need to UNCHECK this "Stop the Task if it runs longer than 3 Days" or is it fine to leave it on?

Some videos suggest doing it, some don't. Is there anything else I should take into consideration too?

Thanks!

Solution
You can leave it checked. Thats more for if you had a script to say back up a bunch of folder or files to another computer or drive and the backup took more then 3 days it would stop it after 3 days and then restart it again at the next time specified
You can leave it checked. Thats more for if you had a script to say back up a bunch of folder or files to another computer or drive and the backup took more then 3 days it would stop it after 3 days and then restart it again at the next time specified

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx
Solution

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Awesome tyvm! Is there anything else I should add/change to my Task?
I've only got shutdown.exe and /s.

I've seen some suggest turning on "turn on this pc to run this task" (Although I want it off..) or other weird settings, etc.

This should be fine as it is?

So say at 10pm task scheduler is set to run the shutdown /s command script, but you've already turned it off at 9 pm. Why would you want your computer to turn its self back on just to run the command to turn off.

Once again that setting is more for if you were doing backups, if your PC was already off it would turn it on to run the backup script, then you could add to the end of that script to have the PC shut down afterwards.

They way you have it setup sounds fine and shouldn't need any other tinkering.

Here is a script i wrote a while back, the owner of the company would only keep files on his computer and on 2 usb drives. Then complain when something went wrong with a file and i couldn't restore it. We dont do local backups at work only server backups.

XCopy /Y "C:\Users\user\Documents" /E "H:\USERS\user\user Office Doc Backup\C My Documents"
XCopy /Y "C:\Users\user\Desktop" /E "H:\USERS\yser\user Office Doc Backup\Desktop"
XCopy /Y "E:\" /E "H:\USERS\user\user Office Doc Backup\E USB Drive"
XCopy /Y "G:\" /E "H:\USERS\user\user Office Doc Backup\G USB Drive"
shutdown /r

So this is moving files from two folders on the C drive and 2 usb sticks to the server. I used the stop task if it takes more then a day ( i moved mine to a day instead of 3) it would kill the task, then on the next day would start at its scheduled time.