[SOLVED] i want to build a pc that can be upgraded in the future

apokleis

Commendable
Nov 19, 2018
I came up with this build
cpu: ryzen 7 2700x with stock cooler
gpu: gigabyte gtx 1050ti low profile
psu:Gigabyte P650B
ram:HyperX Fury 4GB DDR4-3200MHz (HX432C16FB3/4)
motherboard:Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
ssd:Kingston Α400 240GB M.2
hdd:Western Digital Blue 3.5" 1TB (7200rpm)

Will the psu support a way better graphics card (like an rtx 2060)?
Is the cpu an overkill?
Is there anything else i should consider buying?
The pc will be mostly used for gaming

I know the gpu will affect massively in cpu performance but i already have it and i wanted to save money to buy a better one in the future

Solution
I would skip getting the 1tb hard drive and put the money in towards a bit faster card in the first place and get a 500 gb SSD rather than selling the card at a loss and buying a faster one. If you saved enough to get the parts you picked, there should be no issues getting another $20 to get a larger SSD, and put the money you would have spend on the larger platter drive towards the video card.
To answer in order:

The PSU is fine for a 2060 upgrade. Required min for a 2060 is 500W PSU

As for the CPU, it's fine - not really overkill. Its price to performance is currently within acceptable range and is nearly as good as a Ryzen 5 3600, though if you can find a deal for a 3rd gen ryzen I would recommend going for that gen.

If you're planning to upgrade for future AMD chips like the Zen 3 in 2021 then you might not be able to upgrade with a B450 board. B450 is the lowest board compatible with the 3000 series AMD chips so unless you plan to upgrade to 3rd gen and not 4th gen later on - then sure, the B450 is fine.

Overall it's all fine for a low-end gaming PC. Just hold onto the 1050Ti and upgrade when the the comes. That build will support a 2060 perfectly.

lapse23

Prominent
Dec 31, 2019
The processor is okay but maybe get 3rd gen ryzen? Also, 4gb ram? Minimum I think nowadays is 8gb of RAM, but in budget builds you can almost always stick 16 gigs in there. You can get a mini atx motherboard as well unless you have actual reason for the extra pciex16 slot. I would also opt for a bigger SSD but that is fine.

apokleis

Commendable
Nov 19, 2018
The processor is okay but maybe get 3rd gen ryzen? Also, 4gb ram? Minimum I think nowadays is 8gb of RAM, but in budget builds you can almost always stick 16 gigs in there. You can get a mini atx motherboard as well unless you have actual reason for the extra pciex16 slot. I would also opt for a bigger SSD but that is fine.
I am a bit restricted by my budget
I also forgot to put 2 sticks of 4gb ram
And also I'm opting for upgrades in the future (ram gpu e.t.c.) so if I get these parts I will surely upgrade
Thanks a lot btw

apokleis

Commendable
Nov 19, 2018
To answer in order:

The PSU is fine for a 2060 upgrade. Required min for a 2060 is 500W PSU

As for the CPU, it's fine - not really overkill. Its price to performance is currently within acceptable range and is nearly as good as a Ryzen 5 3600, though if you can find a deal for a 3rd gen ryzen I would recommend going for that gen.

If you're planning to upgrade for future AMD chips like the Zen 3 in 2021 then you might not be able to upgrade with a B450 board. B450 is the lowest board compatible with the 3000 series AMD chips so unless you plan to upgrade to 3rd gen and not 4th gen later on - then sure, the B450 is fine.

Overall it's all fine for a low-end gaming PC. Just hold onto the 1050Ti and upgrade when the the comes. That build will support a 2060 perfectly.
Will an x470 motherboard do ?

I would skip getting the 1tb hard drive and put the money in towards a bit faster card in the first place and get a 500 gb SSD rather than selling the card at a loss and buying a faster one. If you saved enough to get the parts you picked, there should be no issues getting another $20 to get a larger SSD, and put the money you would have spend on the larger platter drive towards the video card.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812
Solution

TRENDING THREADS