[SOLVED] I want to build or buy a computer with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim boley

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
I need a computer with xp. I only want to use it for creating images, editing and such. Some images are large.
I want to use my old Corel and Photoshop software and the plug ins that I used, won't work on any newer OS.
I will not be getting online with the computer but will be putting my art on a flash drive.

So, my question is, would I be better if trying to build a tower from old components, or to just buy an old gaming type computer that will run win xp.
I have several disks with drivers, if I get the same model computer(s) I will already have the drivers.
Not sure what to do but I really need a computer with this OS. Thanks.

Solution
I need a computer with xp. I only want to use it for creating images, editing and such. Some images are large.
I want to use my old Corel and Photoshop software and the plug ins that I used, won't work on any newer OS.
I will not be getting online with the computer but will be putting my art on a flash drive.

So, my question is, would I be better if trying to build a tower from old components, or to just buy an old gaming type computer that will run win xp.
I have several disks with drivers, if I get the same model computer(s) I will already have the drivers.
XP will usually be limited to 4GB RAM. That is not optimal for "large" images ... You can...

kanewolf

Titan

XP will usually be limited to 4GB RAM. That is not optimal for "large" images ... You can compensate some by having the swap file on SSD. XP programs will definitely be 32 bit.

Solution

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
Yes, I know. I've been using PSP since the JASC days.
Me too. I've been trying to use it on Win 10 and I got it installed and set to run in compatibility mode as administrator but it won't open/display anything. My images are backed up on a thumb drive and Win 10/PSP will find them, it just won't open them. So I downloaded Paint.net (free program) and it looks very usable and full-featured. Haven't played around with it yet.

Anyway, I've pretty much hijacked this thread and I apologize to the original poster.

The problem with running XP is running it on modern hardware. There's no USB 3 support, graphics cards dropped support basically in the early 2010s (though drivers may have been supported for a few more years after), among other things.

For the best compatibility, buy older parts from around 2005-2009. A Core 2 or Phenom II system would easily get you a top-end XP machine for not that much off of eBay.

You must have me excused for promoting a complete different solution that original asked for. I know OP probably is fixed on using that particular collection of software, and I probably shouldn't involved here at all.

However - I read this and - thinking there is a wall (rugged and slippery) to climb in order to get this old OS to work in a proper way, and the result will probably still be far from optimum regarding performance.

That is why I just cannot resist commenting some that for me personally looks like a much better alternative:

There are operating systems that not just works much better on newer hardware, that easily can install a graphic editor that in my opinion is just as good as psp if not better by now.

If you consider this alternative - here is a nice playlist on YouTube for using Gimp
https://www.youtube.com/c/LogosByNick/playlists

And of course - I'll be happy to give a helping hand regarding installation and choose a proper distro if this is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.