[SOLVED] I want to buy a monitor.

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
hi, i wanna buy a monitor but idk what to look for. i am currently using 60hz LG Monitor.. i play Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch & Apex Legends.

Solution
Don't buy a 1080p monitor, it's very bad investment at this point. A monitor is supposed to last you many years. Get a 27" 1440p 144hz/165hz monitor. After you go 1440p, you can't go back, the impact on the gaming experience is bigger than refresh rate imo, for both resolution and immersion (size). And make sure it works with G-Sync over DisplayPort. Your GTX 1070 is more than enough for those games at 1440p, later you will upgrade it anyway.
Good quality VA 27" curved monitors have great colors and viewing angles and better black levels, you don't need IPS. Take a look at Asus VG27WQ and Gigabyte G27Q (this one is IPS).
What’s your full pc spec?
What’s the budget?
What size and resolution do you want?
Any preference on IPS, VA or TN?

For fast FPS games ideally you want a high refresh rate monitor which are commonly 120/144/165/240Hz. However higher Hz can be more expensive or if on TN have poorer colours

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
What’s your full pc spec?
What’s the budget?
What size and resolution do you want?
Any preference on IPS, VA or TN?

For fast FPS games ideally you want a high refresh rate monitor which are commonly 120/144/165/240Hz. However higher Hz can be more expensive or if on TN have poorer colours
8th gen intel
gtx1070
16gb ram
30K INR ($400)

25" 1080p will do for me i want a faster monitor.. i can't see enemies before they kill me lol

8th gen intel
gtx1070
16gb ram
30K INR ($400)

25" 1080p will do for me i want a faster monitor.. i can't see enemies before they kill me lol
Ok I don’t know the Indian market and how prices compare. However you can find lots of reviews, this might help https://www.techspot.com/bestof/1080p-gaming-monitors/

This site do really good reviews of monitors but they don’t have all monitors https://www.rtings.com/

I would suggest 144Hz or higher if the price is right and the independent reviews are good, there is more than just Hz. Reality is you won’t notice the difference between 144Hz and say 165Hz, it’s just a bigger numbers on the box. You would need to be a very good player to notice the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz. The jump from 60Hz to 144Hz is very noticeable, I will never go back to 60Hz myself.

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
Ok I don’t know the Indian market and how prices compare. However you can find lots of reviews, this might help https://www.techspot.com/bestof/1080p-gaming-monitors/

This site do really good reviews of monitors but they don’t have all monitors https://www.rtings.com/

I would suggest 144Hz or higher if the price is right and the independent reviews are good, there is more than just Hz. Reality is you won’t notice the difference between 144Hz and say 165Hz, it’s just a bigger numbers on the box. You would need to be a very good player to notice the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz. The jump from 60Hz to 144Hz is very noticeable, I will never go back to 60Hz myself.
i am thinking of buying BENQ ZOWIE XL2546K. but then i am worried about viewing angles

DSD27

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Don't buy a 1080p monitor, it's very bad investment at this point. A monitor is supposed to last you many years. Get a 27" 1440p 144hz/165hz monitor. After you go 1440p, you can't go back, the impact on the gaming experience is bigger than refresh rate imo, for both resolution and immersion (size). And make sure it works with G-Sync over DisplayPort. Your GTX 1070 is more than enough for those games at 1440p, later you will upgrade it anyway.
Good quality VA 27" curved monitors have great colors and viewing angles and better black levels, you don't need IPS. Take a look at Asus VG27WQ and Gigabyte G27Q (this one is IPS).

Last edited:
Solution

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27
will this work ??? i have been using 60hz since ages like more than 5 years now..

Reactions: DSD27
Personally I would not go with 1440p unless you plan to upgrade your gpu and gpu prices and availability is looking bad for at least another year. I originally had a 2080 Super with my 1440p 144Hz monitor and found it underwhelming in gpu demanding games, I had to run medium settings with RT off to average 120+ FPS. I upgraded to a 3080 and am much happier now and 140+ at very high settings is possible but still with RT off. While the games you list are not that gpu heavy the first time you want to play a gpu demanding game the 1070 is going to really struggle and you don’t want to be in a position of needing to 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
Personally I would not go with 1440p unless you plan to upgrade your gpu and gpu prices and availability is looking bad for at least another year. I originally had a 2080 Super with my 1440p 144Hz monitor and found it underwhelming in gpu demanding games, I had to run medium settings with RT off to average 120+ FPS. I upgraded to a 3080 and am much happier now and 140+ at very high settings is possible but still with RT off. While the games you list are not that gpu heavy the first time you want to play a gpu demanding game the 1070 is going to really struggle and you don’t want to be in a position of needing to 1080p on a 1440p monitor.
so Benq XL2546K or ASUS VG27AQ or ASUS XG248Q renewed on Amazon

DSD27

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
GTX 1070 is good for 1440p until he upgrades, even if only next year. Especially for the popular multiplayer games, which aren't very demanding. Ideally, a monitor should outlast different GPUs, if he doesn't upgrade to 1440p now, he will get stuck on 1080p for quite some time unless he sells the monitor and upgrades. Paying almost the same price for 1080p makes no sense at all.
I play For Honor on my second PC with a GTX 1070 at Ultra, around 80 fps. despite having only a quad core i5. And I prefer 1440p at 80fps to 1080p 120fps any day, so, I don't feel the need to lower the settings.
Many people still have the preconception that 1440p is a performance monster, but 1440p has been the sweet spot for some time now. 4K is now what 1440p used to be for many years.

Last edited:

xxSNOWENGINExx

Prominent
Mar 17, 2020
GTX 1070 is good for 1440p until he upgrades, even if only next year. Especially for the popular multiplayer games, which aren't very demanding. Ideally, a monitor should outlast different GPUs, if he doesn't upgrade to 1440p now, he will get stuck on 1080p for quite some time unless he sells the monitor and upgrades. Paying almost the same price for 1080p makes no sense at all.
I play For Honor on my second PC with a GTX 1070 at Ultra, around 80 fps. despite having only a quad core i5. And I prefer 1440p at 80fps to 1080p 120fps any day, so, I don't feel the need to lower the settings.
Many people still have the preconception that 1440p is a performance monster, but 1440p has been the sweet spot for some time now. 4K is now what 1440p used to be for many years.
ASUS VG27AQ this is good ???. the models you told are out of stock here in India

GTX 1070 is good for 1440p until he can upgrade, even if only next year. Especially for the games he plays, which aren't very demanding. Ideally, a monitor should outlast different GPUs, if he doesn't upgrade to 1440p now, he will get stuck on 1080p for quite some time unless he sells the monitor and upgrades. Paying almost the same price for 1080p makes no sense at all.
There is nothing wrong with 1080 at 25” or below. If you go 1440p you are pushing up the price of the monitor especially if you go very high Hz IPS and it’s a commitment to needing high end gpu’s if you want to play gpu demanding games. Having got fed up of a 2080S at 1440p I can’t imagine running a 1070.

Each to their own. If not want to go high end gpu’s to support gpu heavy games I’d stick to 1080p. It is still by far the most popular resolution on the Steam survey.

DSD27

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
There is nothing wrong with 1080 at 25” or below. If you go 1440p you are pushing up the price of the monitor especially if you go very high Hz IPS and it’s a commitment to needing high end gpu’s if you want to play gpu demanding games. Having got fed up of a 2080S at 1440p I can’t imagine running a 1070.

Each to their own. If not want to go high end gpu’s to support gpu heavy games I’d stick to 1080p. It is still by far the most popular resolution on the Steam survey.
25" is a good size for 1440p. On my second PC I have a 23.8" 1440p monitor, the picture sharpness is amazing, great picture quality and removes the need to use Anti-Aliasing in games. There's also no to need to use scaling in Windows.
1080p 23.8" is the same PPI as 1440p 31.5", both are low once you've seen the higher ones, I couldn't use them again.
You don't need to pay extra for IPS, you can get a curved VA, good viewing angles, colors and better black levels.

If he needs to play some more demanding games at high instead of ultra, that's perfectly fine, it will probably still look better due to the higher PPI and will be more immersive due to the 27" size. Revolution is more important than having all filters at absolute maximum.
Who cares about Steam's survey, most people aren't "hardcore" regarding visual experience, many of them play CS:GO at 800p and prefer to have a 240hz TN crap instead of a proper monitor.

25" is a good size for 1440p. On my second PC I have a 23.8" 1440p monitor, the picture sharpness is amazing, great picture quality and removes the need to use Anti-Aliasing in games. There's also no to need to use scaling in Windows.
1080p 23.8" is the same PPI as 1440p 31.5", both are low once you've seen the higher ones, I couldn't use them again.
You don't need to pay extra for IPS, you can get a curved VA, good viewing angles, colors and better black levels.

If he needs to play some more demanding games at high instead of ultra, that's perfectly fine, it will probably still look better due to the higher PPI and will be more immersive due to the 27" size. Revolution is more important than having all filters at absolute maximum.
Who cares about Steam's survey, most people aren't "hardcore" regarding visual experience, many of them play CS:GO at 800p and prefer to have a 240hz TN crap instead of a proper monitor.
I didn’t say you shouldn’t use 1440p @ 25”, just that 1080p is ok up to 25”. I don’t like 1080p on anything higher, the dpi is just too low and I find it annoying.

Anyway none of this changes my opinion. Unless ready to move up the gpu tier list significantly I would not go 1440p high Hz. It definitely looks better but it commits you to needing higher end gpu’s. It’s up to the OP if that’s a problem or not, I just want the OP to understand it requires significantly more gpu horsepower than 1080p to achieve similar FPS at 1440p.

You have a different opinion and that’s fair enough. I know what my vote is and I’ve shared it with the OP.

DSD27

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
I didn’t say you shouldn’t use 1440p @ 25”, just that 1080p is ok up to 25”. I don’t like 1080p on anything higher, the dpi is just too low and I find it annoying.

Anyway none of this changes my opinion. Unless ready to move up the gpu tier list significantly I would not go 1440p high Hz. It definitely looks better but it commits you to needing higher end gpu’s. It’s up to the OP if that’s a problem or not, I just want the OP to understand it requires significantly more gpu horsepower than 1080p to achieve similar FPS at 1440p.

You have a different opinion and that’s fair enough. I know what my vote is and I’ve shared it with the OP.
I meant that if 25" is good for 1440p, therefore poor for 1080p. The PPI isn't high enough, 1440p is really worth it, more than those high fps. He can get those very high fps after he upgrades the GPU.
He has a good enough GPU for 1440p for the near future. A monitor purchase is a big thing, much harder to sell and get rid of later on than a GPU.