Question I want to buy a used 3080 card on Ebay, found one at a good price, but the previous usage for the card confuses me.

Jul 11, 2024
Hello!

As mentioned above, I've been looking into getting a 3080 card on ebay, and I found one with a good price of 350 bucks. But, the post says that it was used for "university lab computers" which confused me, so I contacted the seller about that and he said the card was used for Ai model training, he specified by saying:

"Specifically as part of a research program to enable AI model training via low-bandwidth inter-card connectivity (1x PCI-E) but enhance training time on a FP32 platform for about 18 months."

So what does this mean for me the buyer? Has this graphics card been through too much to justify the price? Am I better off looking for something else?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could ask the seller for the proof of purchase, to verify if it indeed was taxed for 18months but most importantly, you should ask what sort of scripting they ran the test on the card.

One other thing, is compared to all the other listing, how far low is the seller asking for the card for the same make and model? If it's too good to be true, it's probably not.

Reactions: CountMike