[SOLVED] I want to buy an external hdd for my ps4

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
So, i have decided to go and buy an external hdd for my ps4, but i want to make sure of some things before buying it:

1-Can i download my games directly on hdd or i must download them in the ps4 and then to move them to ext hdd?

2- Would be there any problem with trophyes, like, i will get my trophy to a certain game i play, with a certain delay or is there the chance that i will never get it on ext hdd ?

3-If i want to copy games from the internal hdd of my ps4, how long it will take to copy...battlefield 5 or red dead redemption 2 on it, also, can i still access other games while certain games are copying to the external hdd ?

4- Will there be any negative impact on my online games, like laggs or increased ping ?

5-What external hdd would you recommend me, one about 2 or 3 tb and not too much over 100 euros/$ or £.

6- Can i use that external hdd to store clips from my games that i play on ps4 and documents from my laptop ?

Edit, I forgot about 7, What will happen to my saves?

Last edited:
Solution
1- Yes, you can manage your storage as you like.
2- No, that is not associated with internal storage, that has to do with your game account.
3- Transfer time depends on a lot of things. The main things that will affect transfer speed are the size of the game and if you are playing a game while transferring files over. A bigger game will take longer, and if you are playing a game on your internal HDD while transferring/downloading, it will be significantly slower.
4- No, that is networking, not storage.
5-Get the biggest one you can only limit to your budget. Get a Seagate external drive made specifically for your model. Like this one here. Don't cheap out on an off-brand product, you'll regret it with data storage.
6-Technically...

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
2- No, that is not associated with internal storage, that has to do with your game account.
3- Transfer time depends on a lot of things. The main things that will affect transfer speed are the size of the game and if you are playing a game while transferring files over. A bigger game will take longer, and if you are playing a game on your internal HDD while transferring/downloading, it will be significantly slower.
5-Get the biggest one you can only limit to your budget. Get a Seagate external drive made specifically for your model. Like this one here. Don't cheap out on an off-brand product, you'll regret it with data storage.
6-Technically, you could use this drive with your laptop, but to my knowledge, doing so would require you to delete everything off of the drive before actually being able to use it. At least it was that way with my Xbox. Typically consoles use a proprietary file system and partition table, which is unrecognizable to a PC. it works the other way too. What you put on the HDD from a pc will not be visible to the Console.

Personally, I recommend researching a little more on just how HDD's work, and what filesystems and partitions are. it will help you make a much more educated purchase decision, and help you understand what is actually being saved to the hard drive versus what is not being stored there.

Best of luck,
Anthony

Reactions: Gameron
Solution

Gameron

Prominent
May 4, 2019
6-Technically, you could use this drive with your laptop, but to my knowledge, doing so would require you to delete everything off of the drive before actually being able to use it. At least it was that way with my Xbox. Typically consoles use a proprietary file system and partition table, which is unrecognizable to a PC. it works the other way too. What you put on the HDD from a pc will not be visible to the Console.

Personally, I recommend researching a little more on just how HDD's work, and what filesystems and partitions are. it will help you make a much more educated purchase decision, and help you understand what is actually being saved to the hard drive versus what is not being stored there.

Best of luck,
Anthony

Thank you very much :)
You made my day.
All the best in the future :)

TRENDING THREADS