Question I want to change my memory but I can not decide.

May 13, 2019
Hello everybody,
I have a question regarding to a new memory for my computer. I have a Asus P8H77-V as a motherboard and now I am not sure whether Kingston HyperX Savage 16 GB or Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Low Profile 16 GB is better. First of all I thought about a HyperX Fury but then I read an article that they can result in some problems because they run based on PnP not on XMP

Thanks for your help!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
PnP was supposed to be "plug n play".... Except, the motherboard/BIOS is what determines if it's "plug n play", not the DRAM.

At the end of the day, all the kits you're proposing are likely 2x8GB 1600MHz CL9 kits. Bog standard DDR3.
With those parameters, ram is ram, and get whatever is cheapest

What do you have currently? I wouldn't 'upgrade' on speed alone - there's really not substantial gains to be had.
Only 'upgrade' for capacity - and even then, ensure you're regularly maxing out whatever capacity you currently have before spending any money.

Reactions: Phipp
May 13, 2019
PnP was supposed to be "plug n play".... Except, the motherboard/BIOS is what determines if it's "plug n play", not the DRAM.

At the end of the day, all the kits you're proposing are likely 2x8GB 1600MHz CL9 kits. Bog standard DDR3.
With those parameters, ram is ram, and get whatever is cheapest

What do you have currently? I wouldn't 'upgrade' on speed alone - there's really not substantial gains to be had.
Only 'upgrade' for capacity - and even then, ensure you're regularly maxing out whatever capacity you currently have before spending any money.

Thanks for your answer. At the moment I have 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 DDR3. So I want to go from 8 to 16 GB