I want to charge for Wireless access

I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink theor
coffee... you know..sip and surf.

What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
allow internet access?

I've seen it done in hotels.

Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.

-Fred

You are basically looking for a type of wireless gateway. Try
http://www.logisense.com/tm_hotspot.html I am sure there are several
companies.

"Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
>wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
>theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
>
> What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
> that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
> proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
> browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info
> to allow internet access?
>
> I've seen it done in hotels.
>
> Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
>
> -Fred

Also try
http://www.cafe.com/index.php?d=services&p=hotspot_billing_tech&m=hotspot_billing
I am sorry I missed it in the previous post.

Fred Smith wrote:

> I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
> wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
> theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
>
> What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
> that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
> proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
> browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info
> to allow internet access?
>
> I've seen it done in hotels.
>
> Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
>
> -Fred

Thinking off the top of my head... www.nocat.net might be able to help. It
might need modification as I think it's set up for community based networks
where there's no money involved.

HTH,
hugh... uk

Great! I'll start there. Thanks guys....

-Fred

"BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> wrote in message
> Also try
> http://www.cafe.com/index.php?d=services&p=hotspot_billing_tech&m=hotspot_billing
> I am sorry I missed it in the previous post.
>
> "Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
>>wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
>>theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
>>
>> What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL
>> line, that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would
>> figure a proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open
>> up their browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit
>> card info to allow internet access?
>>
>> I've seen it done in hotels.
>>
>> Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
>>
>> -Fred

He could always get together with t-mobile. They service Starbucks and
Borders.

Fred Smith wrote:
> I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
> wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink theor
> coffee... you know..sip and surf.
>
> What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
> that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
> proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
> browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
> allow internet access?
>
> I've seen it done in hotels.
>
> Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
>
> -Fred

More customers might frequent his coffee shop if the wireless access was
free. The question is what is the rate of return on the equipment
investment and monthly access charges. I bet the coffee shop would benefit
more from free access as people will be inclined to visit more as well as
promoting good will through a good value proposition.

Jeff

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:44:37 GMT, "Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com>
wrote:
>What else do I need to get so when users open up their
>browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
>allow internet access?
>
>I've seen it done in hotels.
>
>Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.

zyxel.com has a solution.
Linksys has a solution.

But I think you are wasting your time.
I think Tmobile and Starbucks will be giving away free wifi pretty
soon. Well, Starbucks will. Tmobile will be out of it.

It makes hardly any sense to charge for wifi when you are selling
coffee for $4. Too cheap to install, too cheap to maintain. Better
to use free wifi as a marketing thing. It will be free everywhere.

Write that down. Steevo says. We'll see, huh?