Question I want to connect my gaming computer to my Sony KDL-40W650D television.

Jan 6, 2020
I am using this setup:

1. A single cable with Displayport connecters on each end from my monitor to my computer to free up the HDMI port on my computer. I then connect directly from the computer to my TV HDMI 2 port. I adjust the Sound in windows moving it from my Logitech headset with mic to the TV and the sound comes through loud and clear.

However I only get the IBUYPOWER screensaver with black lines on it and the IBUYPOWER logo. Also, I see the task bar from the desktop and by moving the mouse I can actually see the mouse indicator move across the screen.

Sometimes when I drag the mouse across the Google Chrome icon the hockey game will appear in a small window. Though not for long. So this tells me that a video signal is getting to my tv in addition to the monitor. Is there a connection adjustment I must make within Windows to get the complete stream?

Jan 6, 2020
I found the way to fix this. Go to Control Panel, Settings, Display and on the bottom of the page under monitors (or something like that), there is the option to show what is on the computer monitor on Screen 1, Screen 2, or Both. Clicked on both and it immediately showed both at the same time and had sound also. So this thread can be closed as I am the original poster

I found the way to fix this. Go to Control Panel, Settings, Display and on the bottom of the page under monitors (or something like that), there is the option to show what is on the computer monitor on Screen 1, Screen 2, or Both. Clicked on both and it immediately showed both at the same time and had sound also. So this thread can be closed as I am the original poster

Correct, the way you had it before is the default for dual monitors which is to use both screens as different screens, you wanted to clone the displays. You can also just drag program windows to the second screen and you will be able to use both screens as separate displays. This is not really a "fix" just there are different ways of running multiple monitors, it's more of a "change". For first time users of multiple screens this is often confusing, there are a lot of posts like this where people say "all I see is my background" and they don't understand that the reason they see the desktop background is that the second screen is just waiting for them to move programs to it.

It may help if you think of it like a new room you built, you build a new room but then say "wait a minute, all my furniture is still in my first room how come my new room is empty?" It's because you have to actually move things to that new room, just like you see with the second screen that was just your desktop background, it's a new room you need to move the program windows to.