I want to create a decent computer?

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
OK so I have a ASUS M2V-MX, with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+. I recently Bought a Ge force GT 730 2 GB graphics card and a 4GB PC2-6400 RAM for it.
Recently I was told that the motherboard really isn't that good, and that I didn't really have a lot of choices in terms of CPU's.
So my Question is what choices do I have in terms of computers/ that are compatible with the Graphics card and the 4GB PC2-6400 RAM.
Also on a side note, I mistakenly bought a Intel Celeron G1820, So if their is a decent motherboard that Would be compatible with all three items that I bought (Graphics card, Ram and CPU) I'd love to know.
Thank you

Solution
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zym6pg

Here is another option if you wanted to go with the AMD side of the tracks, This is an excellent all around chip, I used this setup for both of my Son's computers who are both Mincraft enthusiasts, one runs a Minecraft server on his. This chip has integrated Graphics that are superior to that in the i3 so if you dont already have a graphics card, I would suggest this build. or you can go with the i3 and get an R7 250.

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Just had a read of another post.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
(I have everything else needed)
Would this be worth working towards?

bignastyid

Titan

You'd be better off looking at newer hardware that cpu and motherboard are a couple generations old. Whats the budget?

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Honestly Only around £300 as I'm not a heavy gamer or anything, it would just be a hobby. The only game I really play on PC is Minecraft.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
If you are not a heavy gamer and just want a system for basic utility and light gaming such as Minecraft, you can save yourself a bit by going with an i3, they are considerably less then the i5 and you wont really need the muscle of an i5 if all you are doing is stuff like word processing and web browsing and other general purpose use.
here is a build idea:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jCB2WZ

That should bring you in about 75 quid under your budget, room for a new graphics card if you wanted or perhaps a new SSD Hard Drive.
The build I suggest gives you a little upgrade room. If your computing needs expand and you want more processing power you can easily buy an i7 down the line and it will fit in this motherboard. The board itself has plenty of features and room for extra cards and more memory and such. let me know if you have any questions.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zym6pg

Here is another option if you wanted to go with the AMD side of the tracks, This is an excellent all around chip, I used this setup for both of my Son's computers who are both Mincraft enthusiasts, one runs a Minecraft server on his. This chip has integrated Graphics that are superior to that in the i3 so if you dont already have a graphics card, I would suggest this build. or you can go with the i3 and get an R7 250.

Solution

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

thanks for the reply :) this is my current graphics card Ge force GT 730 2 GB i paid £50 for this. Is it worth keeping for either build? AMD or Intel?

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Its ok, better then nothing. IF you go with the AMD A10 build I suggested then you might not even need the card since that chip has a build in Radeon Graphics core in it, I believe it runs at 800mhz so its a good little performer for light work, I know for a fact it will handle Minecraft without breaking a sweat because my younger son has that build and no dedicated graphics and his A10 can not only handle Minecraft but he also Plays Diablo III which is far more demanding a game.

If go with the A10 and later on want to add a little more punch to your graphics but stay modest in price, Get the Radeon R7 250, The AMD A10 is specifically designed to worth with that chip, you can set them up to work in duel graphics just as if you had two video cards.

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Thank you :) i Will take both into consideration and let you know

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
In all honesty, if you really wanted to save money you could just go with the AMD A10-5800K instead of the 7850K, its still a very good chip with built in graphics. This is the chip my son had before I upgraded his sytem and he still had no problem with Minecraft and Diablo III. It will do you good and its about 50 quid cheaper.

KieranD365

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Yeah did a quick CPU comparison; it was 7.6 - 7.5 in favour of 7850K. What are the differences?

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Honestly its minimal as far as general use goes. its got a little more oomph to it. its got slightly better thermal performance so it runs a little cooler. and it has the R7 graphics controller on it so it can run duel graphics with the R7 250. the 5800k has a different graphics controller on it.. I cant remember which graphics card its compatible with. You of course can still buy any card you want and it will work just fine, I am just saying if you wanted to run duel graphics for that chip you would need a certain card but if you are getting serious enough that you want more firepower in the graphics department then you might just save up a hundred pounds and get some beefier anyway.