[SOLVED] i want to cry...Failed SSD western digital

Shadow_32

Honorable
Nov 13, 2016
i have a SSD western digital that was new .. like only barely a year old i bought it myself.

i was playing a game on steam that was on the SSD suddenly teh game closed and the next thing i know the SSD is broken and i cant get it to come up in windows 10 neither in the drive manager thing where ou can adress letters to drives AND ALL MY YEAR OF ACTUAL WORK non gaming WORK REAL WORK IS GONE... i have no EXTRA BACKUP i feel scammed by WD and now i have to some sort of miraculous ways redo all my work .. i want to seroiusly honestly cry and i am frustrated and angry at the same time....

no it wont even come up in the computer manager and i tried other computers and it will not come up there either..... i have wasted good 12 or so months of hard work :(

i honestly want to cry .... WD is garbage they should be sued .

Solution
You weren't scammed by WD.
All storage device die eventually. All of them. Some, quite suddenly.
I had a 960GB Sandisk die just like that.

However...all 605GB on it was recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.
This is specifically what backups are for.

Operate on the thought that your drive might die in the next 0.25 sec.

USAFRet

Titan
You weren't scammed by WD.
All storage device die eventually. All of them. Some, quite suddenly.
I had a 960GB Sandisk die just like that.

However...all 605GB on it was recovered exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.
This is specifically what backups are for.

Operate on the thought that your drive might die in the next 0.25 sec.

Solution

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
honestly why I try to remember using onedrive as much as possible mine is setup that it will text me to ask if I want to if I didn't send an updated file. I can do it from my phone at anytime remotely

DSzymborski

Titan
i have a SSD western digital that was new .. like only barely a year old i bought it myself.

i was playing a game on steam that was on the SSD suddenly teh game closed and the next thing i know the SSD is broken and i cant get it to come up in windows 10 neither in the drive manager thing where ou can adress letters to drives AND ALL MY YEAR OF ACTUAL WORK non gaming WORK REAL WORK IS GONE... i have no EXTRA BACKUP i feel scammed by WD and now i have to some sort of miraculous ways redo all my work .. i want to seroiusly honestly cry and i am frustrated and angry at the same time....

no it wont even come up in the computer manager and i tried other computers and it will not come up there either..... i have wasted good 12 or so months of hard work :(

i honestly want to cry .... WD is garbage they should be sued .

Components fail and Western Digital spells out that they only offer a warranty on the drive and replacement of the drive should it fail. Protecting the data is your responsibility. and without backups, you were negligent in your upkeep of your PC. The responsible one is the one in your mirror. You treated important data as if it were unimportant junk and, well, it's a hard and unfortunate lesson, but life never promises easy ones.

A lawsuit would be the equivalent of suing Toyota because you injured yourself when the car broke down because you weren't wearing your seat belt. You'll just be out the money you used to fund the lawsuit.

popatim

Titan
Can we stop beating the dead drive already? LoL

I remember learning about backups the hard way too when i was much younger. It sucks when you lose precious data.

@Shadow_32 Please warranty or return the drive if you can. Maybe pleading your case with WD they will offer free data recovery. They do this rarely from what I've seen but you don't really risk anything by pleading your case.

Between One Drive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, JottaCloud, P-Cloud, IceDrive, and many others, the most important files can/should be safely backed up in the cloud for complete recovery of data for such disasters.

Any SSD can fail, and, to date I've not heard of any rash of failures associated with WD's SSDs...

Sorry for your loss of data, however.

(With a plethora of 2,3 and 4 TB external USB storage drives often at only $60-$70, an occasional image backup via Macrium Reflect would also go a long way towards allowing a complete recovery.)