16gb ram
gtx960 4gb
psu- corsair VS650
asrock b85m-hds motherboard
2tb hard drive

i want to get some ssd how much should i get it 120gb enough

and can someone please tell me what u should store on ssd

Solution
These days I would strongly recommend at least a 240GB drive unless your budget is super tight. I've lived with a 60GB SSD for a couple of years, moved to a 120GB, and am now on a 250GB. This is the first time I've gone for an extended period of time without having to clean things up.

A fresh build with a couple of games will fit easily on a 120GB drive, but stuff accumulates and eats into your free space. You'll find that you have to monitor your free space pretty closely and perform pretty regular maintenance to clean up junk. None of that is a major issue, of course, so if you budget is tight that's a perfectly valid solution but...

The issue is that the price difference between 120 & 240/250GB drives now is tiny.

At the...

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I would suggest to get at least 240gb SSD (I guess the more the better) . Normally people put the operating system/apps/games/..etc on the SSD as they are faster than the normal HD and for the normal HD as storage for data at least his is what I am doing with my PC.

Regards,

gondo

Distinguished
120GB is great as the main boot drive for Windows. It allows room for only 1 or 2 20GB games and your programs like office, photoshop etc.... It'll fill fast and not have much desktop space to play with.

A 240GB gives the extra 120GB free for a few more games and some desktop space. I like having 40GB free desktop space for placing images of games when installing.

An SSD should have windows, all programs, plus the games you are currently playing. All storage, music, videos, pics, etc... should go on a storage or external drive. If you game, the 250GB is recommended, if it's just an office computer a 120GB may do fine depending on your usage.

If you are crazy and install 10 games simultaneously a 512GB is more recommended.

These days I would strongly recommend at least a 240GB drive unless your budget is super tight. I've lived with a 60GB SSD for a couple of years, moved to a 120GB, and am now on a 250GB. This is the first time I've gone for an extended period of time without having to clean things up.

A fresh build with a couple of games will fit easily on a 120GB drive, but stuff accumulates and eats into your free space. You'll find that you have to monitor your free space pretty closely and perform pretty regular maintenance to clean up junk. None of that is a major issue, of course, so if you budget is tight that's a perfectly valid solution but...

The issue is that the price difference between 120 & 240/250GB drives now is tiny.

At the budget end an 120GB Adata SP550 is $38, or just $20 more for the 240GB drive.
The 850 EVO is $69 for the 120GB and again, a tiny $22 extra for the 250GB.

For me, I'd happily spend $20-25 to avoid having to muck around with managing space. It's a no-brainer. Though of course, if your budget is super-tight, it's little $20 decisions like this that often end up blowing it completely, so decide what's right for you.

It is worth noting as well that the 250GB drives perform better too as they have extra channels.

RE "what you you store on the SSD", the key thing is your operating system, which is best if you can actually perform a fresh install of your OS on the SSD. There are other options (Google them) if you don't want to do that. Other than that, install programs you use often (Web Browsers, Office Suite, etc) on the SSD, and if you still have space, a key game or two (or however many you can fit) which will save you on load times.

Just remember to keep at least 15% free space. SSDs don't like being full, it massively affects performance and can impact the life of the drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.