I want to get windows without an optical drive.

awesomedan746

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
So I'm building my first pc and I really like the NZXT case but it doesn't have a 5.25 inch optical drive in it, but i still need to get Windows 10. I've heard that you can by an external optical drive but that's more expensive. And then I heard you can use a usb to get windows but you need the product key also. So can you buy the product key by itself with spending $100? And when you use a computer to download windows off of for your usb. Does that erase everything from that computer? Sorry for the questions but I am very confused.

Solution
The latest windows 10 in their preview program has changed the need for product keys. you can now use your 7's 8's etc keys for 10 now.

but in your case your buying new so yes you would want to buy a 10 key.... the windows media installer tool works like a charm. really making it easy. basicly mounts it for you and downloads it to your USB drive.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
you can create the usb installer by using the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. You will still need a valid Product Key to install it. Most software these day is available as downloads so an optical drive is really optional.

Installing from a USB is just the same as installing from a DVD.

skitszo

Honorable
The latest windows 10 in their preview program has changed the need for product keys. you can now use your 7's 8's etc keys for 10 now.

but in your case your buying new so yes you would want to buy a 10 key.... the windows media installer tool works like a charm. really making it easy. basicly mounts it for you and downloads it to your USB drive.

Solution

awesomedan746

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

So can I buy the product key for $20 or do I still have to buy Windows 10 for $100? And the PC I'm getting the files from for my new one, will it mess up that PC or will it keep the OS it has and nothing will change