I want to go duplicate screens but I am having issues

infernaldemise

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
I have a Sharp 42" television which has served as my monitor for a few years now. I would like to go dual monitor for gaming and bought a HDMI Splitter from best buy to do this.

I set up the splitter which brought the display up to both my 42" inch tv and a 19" tv. When I try to duplicate the display it brings up the desktop on both monitors. I went into my graphics card control panel and tried to make it work from there with no luck.

Am I doing something wrong or is my problem the size difference in the monitors? I am guessing the size difference which is effecting the resolution is to blame. If it is the size difference, is there another way to make it work or do I need monitors that are closer to the same size?

My Graphics Card - GTX 780 Ti
HDMI Splitter - Rocketfish
Elementz 19 inch Tv
Sharp 42 inch Tv

Thanks for any help :)

Solution
The splitter will only take one signal from your GPU and split it to show on all screens it's connected to. In order to actually have dual monitors, with different stuff on different screens, they need to be plugged into your video card directly so the PC recognizes them as separate displays. From the point of view of the PC, you only have one output.

Nathan Hejnicki

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
The splitter will only take one signal from your GPU and split it to show on all screens it's connected to. In order to actually have dual monitors, with different stuff on different screens, they need to be plugged into your video card directly so the PC recognizes them as separate displays. From the point of view of the PC, you only have one output.

Solution

infernaldemise

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

Ok so the splitter does nothing for duplicating monitors. I understand now. I have to have both monitors plugged into to the one graphics card to get a duplicate monitor. Thanks for the help

Nathan Hejnicki

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

No problem, glad to help