I want to go into the GPU/CPU design. HELP!

mem3e

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
I want to go into GPU/CPU design(I think this what it is called if you can correct me please do) for a larger company like Intel, AMD, Nvidia and other etc. ( I know I wont start of at a company like this they are Just the ones I can think of whilst typing this.)

What I mean by CPU/GPU Design in case that is not what it is called: Designing/Create new components to design better GPU's and better CPU's for gamer's to get a immersive gaming experience.

However I don't know what qualifications I need?
What GCSE's I need?
What do I take at University? (Masters, I'm not sure what I need)
What A levels in 6th form?

If you feel like there is any more please let me know I am super stuck because, I can't find any of this information.

What I'm currently think I'm taking for GCSE:

Triple Science(Single and Double doesn't cover as much Physics as I've been told I need for this careers

Design & Technology(Wood Work, Design, Different design software, Electronics. Etc.)

IT(I think the way my school does It is that half of the course is learning the insides of computers (RAM,CPU,GPU and MB) and the other half is software for coding(I think the code is python we primarily use(Not 100% sure) We will also do a short part on website design with HTML and CSS which I am already quite familiar with.

Early Morning French( I know is Kind of irrelevant for this line of work, however, knowing another language will always give you the upper-hand if the other applicants do not have a Languages Qualification) + it is Early morning so it does not affect my Daily timetable.

For my Humanities: I think I am going for Geography due to me getting Higher Grades in Geography.

There Is another slot for GCSE here a am clueless.

And of course Maths and English :)

A little bit about me if you need it:

I have been into gaming since I was about 7 Years old on the Xbox 360, and was always passionate about the insides of such systems, I later moved onto the Xbox One at around the age of 11(I think not sure) A year before that how ever I got a 2011 Budget Build that I am no Longer using. However I was Great full for this PC however my friends where all on Xbox One at the time so I did not really use the Computer unless people where round my house or I had some Homework. Later on I became a solo gamer in a way, Playing games such as: Mine craft, Counter Strike(1.6, Source) then eventually Global offensive not really communicating with the people I played with on Xbox One as much as I did, Later on a Computer part fried, and it was the Power supply, I got a new one later, then Later that year the same part fried, so I got a new one! A few months pass and a stick of Ram blew, So I was down from 8GB to 4 there was no point in replacing it due to it costing around £25 at the time, after this had happen I began to research Why and how these Issues occurred so often, Later finding out the PSU only blew because it was on the carpet... However I later began to research the inside of the GPU And CPU, ever since then I have been so fascinated by these two parts that allow us to do what we do daily on computers without is thinking about it. Now upper school has begun I have to begin thinking about GCSE and what I want to do with my life and due to me still being incredibly interested in these two parts wanting to do something with my knowledge of the two with the time researching them is not even funny and I dream of becoming an Respected Cpu/Gpu Designer(If that's what its called) at a top brand company( E.g, Intel, AMD, Nvidia)

My best 3 subjects would be: Science, Maths and IT/Design & Technology.

Thank you ever so much if you are still reading, I would Really appreciate answer's- for my Questions at the top of this post.

Thank you so much - Josh

Solution
As a side note you may also want to look in what it take to create a compiler and look into low level programming languages (math and physics). Hopefully you have already looked into some programming languages already as that will be very helpful. You may want to too look into creating tools for modding projects as it could give you perspective on the software side that must interface to the hardware.
I'm in the USA, so I can only provide some general direction for your secondary coursework. You'll want to prepare yourself to get into a university that provides a degree in electrical or electronics engineering. Consequently, review what the entrance requirements are at university's that you would be interested in attending.

Secondary course subjects that would be useful are math/calculus (especially calculus coursework), statistics, physics, chemistry (material sciences is an important part of electronics), a programming language (electronic design is typically done in VHDL so mastery of another language will help you learn it at university), basic computer hardware as you mentioned and anything offered in electricity/electronics. Good luck in your studies!

ikaz

Distinguished
As a side note you may also want to look in what it take to create a compiler and look into low level programming languages (math and physics). Hopefully you have already looked into some programming languages already as that will be very helpful. You may want to too look into creating tools for modding projects as it could give you perspective on the software side that must interface to the hardware.

Solution