[SOLVED] I want to install windows xp on a high end computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
Hello, i would like to install windows xp on my gaming pc, in the future,these are my specs

1. cpu: i7 6700k
  2. gpu 1080gtx
  3. motherboard ASROCK z170 x1
  4. 1 ssd
  5. 1 hdd
  6. 16gb ram

# i know mostly all the dangers, its not supported anymore, outdated, and all the other stuff, just if i get more newer pc, i want to install xp on this computer, big reason i play alot of older games, and they simply run better on windows xp, i cant even start to describe the feeling how older games run on windows xp, and of course i want to make it work for myself also, and i have made up my mind.

# i know there is problem with the drivers, i have found some driver that can work with 1080gtx, and if there is any problems, i have integrated graphic aswell built in, will that take over, or am i wrong about that..

# i also know i have to change the bios, for it to even install

1) will it even start to install on this computer, will it work is the question

2) i know problems will be arising [left and right], but is it possible to get through them, and set it up

3) i see youtube videos, and i search forums also, its being done on newer hardware

4) any tips, or advice, how should i start with it step by step :)

thank you

Solution
Well you are well aware of the problems with XP.

For the most part setting up a "retro" gaming system is problematic at best.

My thoughts:

1) Maybe - two parts here: a) BIOS and b) if the OS and hardware meet the game specs, hopefully so.

2) Maybe - if the problem is related to obsolete drivers, incompatible configurations, etc. likely not.

3 ) May be helpful but there is also a lot of bad information out there. And just one misstep, mishap, or incompatibility could take everything down.

4) Go slow, change only one thing at a time. Create images / backup as you go in order to make recovery easier should things go astray.

And do consider Windows 10 Compatibility mode...

Ralston18

Titan

My thoughts:

1) Maybe - two parts here: a) BIOS and b) if the OS and hardware meet the game specs, hopefully so.

2) Maybe - if the problem is related to obsolete drivers, incompatible configurations, etc. likely not.

3 ) May be helpful but there is also a lot of bad information out there. And just one misstep, mishap, or incompatibility could take everything down.

4) Go slow, change only one thing at a time. Create images / backup as you go in order to make recovery easier should things go astray.

And do consider Windows 10 Compatibility mode.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-run-old-programs-on-windows-10-compatibility-mode/

Compatibility mode can be equally problematic but it an option for you.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
# i know there is problem with the drivers, i have found some driver that can work with 1080gtx, and if there is any problems, i have integrated graphic aswell built in, will that take over, or am i wrong about that..

No, your system won't just revert to the iGP if connected to the 1080. If drivers have an issue, or you can't find any, you'll need to run with just a basic built-in basic VGA driver.

1. Yes, you almost certainly could install Xp on that hardware. Officially, there;s no support & driver options are going to be severely lacking..... but in the strictest sense yes, it could 'work'.

2. It should be possible to set up & use. Again, that's in the strictest sense of 'working'. I can't imagine it'll be an overly pleasant experience though.

3. Not a question - but yes, people have done it.

4. Not that you want to hear 😂 - See below.

It's an interesting idea, if you have a system laying around & won't be connecting to networks.
Likely to be quite a pain to navigate, and you'll be dealing with a complete lack of official driver support. I'm sure there's drivers that could work (a lot of W7 drivers are cross compatible with XP, for example), but you're bound to run into something that will just give you headaches.

Back to the 'tips' or 'advice' though...
I'd argue that IF you wanted to go down the XP route, couldn't be persuaded otherwise etc...you'd probably be better off selling this system & putting together some a little older with native driver support.

For example, most Haswell-era chips/boards had beta XP drivers and, failing that, at least had dedicated W7 drivers.
Given the requirements of any game that 'ran better' on XP will be minimal by even relatively modern standards, you shouldn't have much of an issue on the driver front, with the exception of a GPU.

Haswell or older would make the most sense. Even a Sandy or IvyBridge era i7 decommissioned office PC would make some sense. On the GPU front, a 1080 is overkill for anything of the XP era. Chances are, unless the title has a remaster (which negates the need for XP anyway), the resolution/framerame caps of older titles are going to be your biggest 'bottleneck' anyway.

Nvidia has legacy driver support for XP through the GTX900 series.
For example, an i7-2600, 8GB DDR3 and a GTX960/70/80/80TI will likely be indistinguishable in terms of performance vs the Skylake + 1080 system, but give you pretty much zero headaches with respect to drivers.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
No, your system won't just revert to the iGP if connected to the 1080. If drivers have an issue, or you can't find any, you'll need to run with just a basic built-in basic VGA driver.

1. Yes, you almost certainly could install Xp on that hardware. Officially, there;s no support & driver options are going to be severely lacking..... but in the strictest sense yes, it could 'work'.

2. It should be possible to set up & use. Again, that's in the strictest sense of 'working'. I can't imagine it'll be an overly pleasant experience though.

3. Not a question - but yes, people have done it.

4. Not that you want to hear 😂 - See below.

It's an interesting idea, if you have a system laying around & won't be connecting to networks.
Likely to be quite a pain to navigate, and you'll be dealing with a complete lack of official driver support. I'm sure there's drivers that could work (a lot of W7 drivers are cross compatible with XP, for example), but you're bound to run into something that will just give you headaches.

Back to the 'tips' or 'advice' though...
I'd argue that IF you wanted to go down the XP route, couldn't be persuaded otherwise etc...you'd probably be better off selling this system & putting together some a little older with native driver support.

For example, most Haswell-era chips/boards had beta XP drivers and, failing that, at least had dedicated W7 drivers.
Given the requirements of any game that 'ran better' on XP will be minimal by even relatively modern standards, you shouldn't have much of an issue on the driver front, with the exception of a GPU.

Haswell or older would make the most sense. Even a Sandy or IvyBridge era i7 decommissioned office PC would make some sense. On the GPU front, a 1080 is overkill for anything of the XP era. Chances are, unless the title has a remaster (which negates the need for XP anyway), the resolution/framerame caps of older titles are going to be your biggest 'bottleneck' anyway.

Nvidia has legacy driver support for XP through the GTX900 series.
For example, an i7-2600, 8GB DDR3 and a GTX960/70/80/80TI will likely be indistinguishable in terms of performance vs the Skylake + 1080 system, but give you pretty much zero headaches with respect to drivers.

Thank you for your answer, i really appreciate that, i am not an expert on this pc world, but i am trying to get a climps how it is done, i just have memories, of playing this old battlefield series, and this game is made for windows xp by default, and i keep getting these memories, because i played this game half of my life, on windows xp, but bad hardware, now being on this so called newer hardware, well not that new anymore but still, i am all about details, and i know this (deep down in my heart) that this game ran way better, its a thing i just cannot explain, i feel like, this newer end hardware has my game stuck in the mud, when i play this game on win7, win10, but in the xp days, i dont remember that feeling, and i basically just want to go back to windows xp just for those few games, and ofc (retro is in play here also)

* you are right maybe i should buy something what has native driver support to it, as yes maybe

i7-4790
i7-2600

or i5 cpus

windows xp maximizes only 4gb i think so idk about 8GB and GTX960/70/80/80TI would be the top tier choices

if you have time, i would ask like this, i always want best, top tier parts and since its xp what u think are the number one parts for it, what has native support

cpu you named
gpu you named also

• what about motherboard choices?
  • is ssd worth in win xp, if there is no trim option i have read? or just go with 1 hdd only or 2
  • what ram exactly what manufactor would be good, what speeds xp support the most
  • power supply

i have never put a pc together myself, quite a newbie, but understand to some what extent.

! the points maybe little bit silly, and not worth, but i just know it, and since i play only a few games, it is a must for me, competitive also.

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019

My thoughts:

And do consider Windows 10 Compatibility mode.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-run-old-programs-on-windows-10-compatibility-mode/

Compatibility mode can be equally problematic but it an option for you.
Thank you for the answer

vastupead

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
and i want to add why i keep thinking about going back to xp, because i have been on windows 7, 10 for many many years now

and i have done every tweak/modification/change what youtube, and google has for me and starting from

# bios updating, i had to actually even degrade bios version, because was higher dpc latency
# every input delay guide, that is being done, talking about youtube videos, since i am all about performance
# nvidia control panel changes years of plays
# registry tweaks
# disable all you can pretty much for to squeeze performance

i mean you name it, and i have done it 95% probability

and windows xp, you did not have to make really nothing, just open the game, and it (HAD A DIFFRENT LOOK TO IT, DIFFRENT PERFORMANCE TO IT, LIKE A NEW GAME)

dont get me wrong, win 10 il choose for any other game out there, but those few games for me, xp stays forever, and i will get that feeling back, its a must for me

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are quite a few not official “XP” builds out. Appears the most popular is called Ultimate Retro. I recall other unofficial builds by that moniker. A super quick view indicates that it has modern support for devices. Linus even has a video in it.
Given that it’s end of support was yers ago I would not attempt an official build at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.