Question I want to know the specifications of my soldered in systemboard RAM

May 5, 2020
I have lenovo ideapad s340-14IWL
MODEL NUMBER: 81N7
It has 4gb built-in with the motherboard and a free slot to upgrade.
Now i want to know the CAS Latency and voltage it uses to buy a RAM with same specifications. I couldn’t figure out, i even contacted lenovo and they said they can’t check CAS Latency and voltage, its out of there hands maybe because it’s built-in within intel chipset motherboard. I even used third party programs but it doesn’t show these specifications about Ram.
Hope i can find help to buy a compatible RAM.
Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Check the following link:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ooks/s340-14iwl/81n7/parts/display/compatible

Very that the link is indeed a match to your laptop.

Note you can enter your laptop's serial number - may narrow the RAM options.

Also go to RAM manufacturer websites (PNY, Kingston, Samsung). Search using your laptop model.

Hopefully one of more of the websites will list compatible RAM modules that will be able to be installed alongside the existing fixed RAM module.

Pay very close attention to details and specifications.

Reactions: SamirD
May 5, 2020
Check the following link:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ooks/s340-14iwl/81n7/parts/display/compatible

Very that the link is indeed a match to your laptop.

Note you can enter your laptop's serial number - may narrow the RAM options.

Also go to RAM manufacturer websites (PNY, Kingston, Samsung). Search using your laptop model.

Hopefully one of more of the websites will list compatible RAM modules that will be able to be installed alongside the existing fixed RAM module.

Pay very close attention to details and specifications.
Hello my friend, how are you.

i was able to find the Timing of my soldered RAM by third party program.
Surprisingly it shows the Timing as 10-10-10-28. But sometimes it goes up to 17-17-17-39 when openning programs and switching between them.
I’m confused of how will i get compatible RAM with Timing of 10-10-10-28, DDR4 & 2400mhz, it’s hard to find. What do you advice me to do in this situation, and why does it go up to 17-17-17-39 sometimes.
Hope you can help me with this, Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The starting point is the motherboard in your Lenovo Ideapad.

I would start by going to Lenovo's website and looking for the motherboard installed in your Ideapad. Specific details can often be found by a search using the Ideapad's serial number. If not, then (hopefully) the IdeaPad model/version number.

Once you find the applicable motherboard there should be some listing of the supported RAM specs and configurations.

However, I do not understand the changes you are seeing with respect to timing. Are you deliberately doing any overclocking?

Overall if you have faster RAM installed that RAM can perform at slower speeds. Slow RAM will not run at faster speeds.

What programs are you running and switching between and what RAM speeds do you see with respect to those specific programs?

May 5, 2020
The starting point is the motherboard in your Lenovo Ideapad.

I would start by going to Lenovo's website and looking for the motherboard installed in your Ideapad. Specific details can often be found by a search using the Ideapad's serial number. If not, then (hopefully) the IdeaPad model/version number.

Once you find the applicable motherboard there should be some listing of the supported RAM specs and configurations.

However, I do not understand the changes you are seeing with respect to timing. Are you deliberately doing any overclocking?

Overall if you have faster RAM installed that RAM can perform at slower speeds. Slow RAM will not run at faster speeds.

What programs are you running and switching between and what RAM speeds do you see with respect to those specific programs?
I did go to Lenovo and searched for specifications with Model Number, all I was able to get about RAM is:
""Chipset Memory:
Intel Soc (System on Chip) platform
8GB max / 2400MHz DDR4,
optional 4GB memory soldered to systemboard, one DDR4 SO-DIMM socket. *System clocks down for processors with lower memory controller.""

and about deliberately doing overclocking I'm not I was surprised the first time it went to 17.

just some simple programs like chrome, File explorer, Email, Microsoft store.

RAM speed is 665MHz & 1197MHz, it keeps jumping between these two numbers(Speeds). it doesn't go between these speeds it's just 665 or 1197 directly.

May 5, 2020
The laptop has 4gb soldered in systemboard RAM (with the chipset).
And there is one memory slot (empty) for upgrade.
I’m confused about what compatible RAM can i buy to put it on the only slot to upgrade.

the cpu is i5-8265U