I wan't to learn about Linux OS

Gerraour

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hello ,

My friend has explained me about Linux OS , And i'm getting interested. So i watch youtube for Linux OS preview. And it looks different than windows 7. My friend said that Linux OS is more difficult to use than windows 7.

So , i want to give a try on Linux OS. I'm ready to learn Linux OS.
My question is :

-What Is Linux OS ?

-How to use Linux OS ?

-I'm on Windows 7 OS. So how to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Linux OS ? *Because i want to keep my files on windows 7

-What is the good Linux OS for beginner?

-Do i need to download my hardware drivers for Linux? *such as my nvidia gpu , sound driver , etc.

Thanks,

Solution
The different versions of Linux all use what is called the Linux kernal. On top of the kernal you have Desktop Environments or DEs.
The list of DEs is long and will generally be referred to as flavors because you look for one that suits your tastes.
The next point to make is that they use repos(itories) or depots for the add on software that you can install with a single click. Many use the Ubuntu (DEB) repos others the RPM. You can easily convert DEB to RPM and vice versa but it takes more work. It's the same software it just installs differently.

The most common flavors are Ubuntu (easy for new computer users) and it's spinoffs like Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Lubuntu which offer specific software included (edu has educational software...

ebpollock

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
The live CD is OK. I find it way to slow for anything other than finding out if my hardware is supported. I would get a fast 16-32 GB USB (3.0 if possible) flash drive and install the OS to that drive. I have also installed Ubuntu on a 2.5" HDD and another SSD. Once you boot off the install media chose to install the OS on your removable media. When its done just select the boot order in your bios to boot of removable media first and you have a full working Linux OS. Best thing about the removable media is that if you run of the open source drivers (that is you do not install any wifi, nvidia or catalyst drivers) you can take your removable device and boot it from any computer.

Second reason I like to install to removable media is that you never repartition your existing hard drive, which means not having to mess with a boot loader and your data is safer from partitioning and reformatting mistakes.

here is what you need.

Linux install media i like ubuntu (cd or USB)
16 Gb or greater USB or external HDD/SSD (faster is better USB 3.0 recommended but not necessary)

Boot from the install media, and choose to install to the USB connected device.

Ubuntu is strait forward and most everything should work out of the box. Drivers if available are automatically loaded. No guarantees though.

Evan

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
The different versions of Linux all use what is called the Linux kernal. On top of the kernal you have Desktop Environments or DEs.
The list of DEs is long and will generally be referred to as flavors because you look for one that suits your tastes.
The next point to make is that they use repos(itories) or depots for the add on software that you can install with a single click. Many use the Ubuntu (DEB) repos others the RPM. You can easily convert DEB to RPM and vice versa but it takes more work. It's the same software it just installs differently.

The most common flavors are Ubuntu (easy for new computer users) and it's spinoffs like Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Lubuntu which offer specific software included (edu has educational software included) or a lighter and faster DE for less powerful machines. Ubuntu has a policy not to include proprietary software and drivers but they can be added from the depots very easily if you need them. Mint uses Ubuntu's repo's but comes with some extra proprietary software and has a desktop that a win7 person would appreciate so it is often recommended. If you start with one of them you'll find that in most cases you won't see a difference in difficulty level and in many it's easier. If my mother wanted something to surf the net, write emails or keep her recipes on I would use linux rather than windows hands down. If you want to play games then you go with windows. After you've gotten over the mystic of Linux you can get into the others that are even more user optimized or you could even build your own (there's a version specifically for that!)

Solution