[SOLVED] I want to OC my RX 5700 XT but I'm not sure my PSU is able to.

kodousekroman

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
Hey, guys I have question about OC'ing my Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse and I'm not sure that my PSU will be able to deliver requested power into my system.

My system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @4GHz (1.416V in CPU-Z)
MB: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming rev1.0
GPU: mentioned above
PSU: EVGA 650GQ (Gold)
RAM: Patriot Viper 2x8GB 3000MHz (1.35V)
HDD: 2x 7200rpm (1TB & 2TB)
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Should I buy better PSU or will it be ok, If push GPU power limit up.
Thank you

kodousekroman

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
I tried pushing to 50% Power limit it crashed immediately. Could it be problem somewhere else?
Forgot to mention: went to 2130 on core clock and 950 on mem. clock using AMD software for OC.

I tried pushing to 50% Power limit it crashed immediately. Could it be problem somewhere else?
Forgot to mention: went to 2130 on core clock and 950 on mem. clock using AMD software for OC.
You're pushing it pretty hard with those settings. Even if you get it stable it will thermal throttle with very little if any actual performance (FPS) improvement... and quite probably more stutter in gaming action as 1% lows get out of hand.

What I've read seems to work best is keeping the clocks at or near stock (probably no higher than 1905-2005 Mhz range) and under-volting as much as you can to control heat. Sometimes increasing power limit helps, but do it slow. This is also what I've noticed with my Red Dragon (all 5700's/XT's behave very similarly, btw.)

If you track clocks with GPUz you'll see that it never actually hits top clocks anyway...it's totally limited by thermals. So bump up the fan curve to keep it cool. Pulse cards are good but they don't have the huge triple fan coolers like Red Devil or Nitro+ cards do. In the end it will be limited by thermal performance.

Memory overclocking does help, but most people can't get beyond 930 Mhz memory clock with stability.

In the end, actual FPS improvements are sparse so don't expect anything really big.

Last edited:
I've had some similar problems with crashing my 5700xt Red Dragon. One thing I've learned is AMD's drivers have left 5700 GPUs unstable during high GPU loads. They've improved in the latest release, in fact this problem was specifically addressed in release notes. But it's still a bit of a work in progress I think.

Still, pushing a Red Dragon XT up to 285 W (a 50% increase from its stock 190 W) is going to challenge the board's VRM for clean, stable power delivery during peak GPU power demands. The PSU should be good for it as the CPU will not be pulling anything close to the 300 W (leaving a conservative 65 W for everything else) needed to put a test to the 650 W unit you have.

I've also read that cleaning out Shader Caches can help since driver updates don't always do that. The shaders will be re-compiled fresh the next time you start a game, so no problem with doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kodousekroman

kodousekroman

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
You're pushing it pretty hard with those settings. Even if you get it stable it will thermal throttle with very little if any actual performance (FPS) improvement... and quite probably more stutter in gaming action as 1% lows get out of hand.

What I've read seems to work best is keeping the clocks at or near stock (probably no higher than 1905-2005 Mhz range) and under-volting as much as you can to control heat. Sometimes increasing power limit helps, but do it slow. This is also what I've noticed with my Red Dragon (all 5700's/XT's behave very similarly, btw.)

If you track clocks with GPUz you'll see that it never actually hits top clocks anyway...it's totally limited by thermals. So bump up the fan curve to keep it cool. Pulse cards are good but they don't have the huge triple fan coolers like Red Devil or Nitro+ cards do. In the end it will be limited by thermal performance.

Memory overclocking does help, but most people can't get beyond 930 Mhz memory clock with stability.

In the end, actual FPS improvements are sparse so don't expect anything really big.
I tried pushing those clocks even before this post and I know it crashes. I just wanted to get max out of it. Actually I settled on 2000MHz, 920MHz (1840MHz) and 1080mV which is max temp on Core (Hot spot) 84-85°C.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Actually yes but it's a problem of Outer Worlds or AMD drivers. Just wanted to push max out of it. Settled on core 2000mhz@1080mv and 1840mhz on memory.

I'm not sure that overclocking the video card is the solution to this. Judging by the link I found, the PC port is badly optimized, and the thread has complaints (as well as posts about it running fine) on both AMD and Nvidia cards..

Overclocking the GPU just to get maybe a couple of more frames for just the one game doesn't sound like a good idea.

Reactions: kodousekroman

TRENDING THREADS