[SOLVED] I want to over clock my cpu but i dont know anything about overclocking

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
So in short i want to boost my i7 870 and i know how, except how which some guy told me how to do step by step i know nothing else, what is dangerous, what the heck is voltage and what is the right one and when does it need to be changed... What is safe and what is not... Can it damage my components since if something gets damaged im not going to be able to replace it... And will it shorten the lifespan of any component. Here is some info
PSU: LC POWER 6650 v2.2
CPU: i7 870
MBO: ASUS P7H55-M PRO

Solution
I recommend not overclocking this system if this is the only computer you have and you can't readily get a replacement. Plus as mentioned, the computer is old. Subjecting it to even more stress may not be a good idea.

EDIT: Well since you came here looking for information anyway, here's some pointers. But again, I do not recommending doing it on your computer unless it's considered disposable or you have a means of replacing parts.
  • You'll need a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier and a motherboard that supports it. While you can overclock adjusting BCLK, this almost never works out well because BCLK affects everything, so at best you may only be able push another 1-2 MHz before the system no longer works and you...
I recommend not overclocking this system if this is the only computer you have and you can't readily get a replacement. Plus as mentioned, the computer is old. Subjecting it to even more stress may not be a good idea.

EDIT: Well since you came here looking for information anyway, here's some pointers. But again, I do not recommending doing it on your computer unless it's considered disposable or you have a means of replacing parts.
  • You'll need a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier and a motherboard that supports it. While you can overclock adjusting BCLK, this almost never works out well because BCLK affects everything, so at best you may only be able push another 1-2 MHz before the system no longer works and you have to reset BIOS settings
  • You'll need a good cooler to handle the extra heat. A rule of thumb I have is if the cooler can't keep the CPU under 70C while running a benchmark like Cinebench for at least 10 minutes with stock settings, it's not suitable for overclocking.
  • You'll also need a decent quality motherboard to handle the extra power needed to supply the CPU. If the motherboard doesn't have a heat sink on the VRM or has enough phases, it's not going to be good for overclocking the CPU.
  • While I'm sure CPUs can go up to 1.5V, I suggest not going above 1.45V.
  • Whether or not life span will be affected depends on how hot the CPU gets. Higher temperatures is what degrades electronics faster.
  • You can usually fix things by resetting BIOS settings.

Last edited:
Solution
It's a 13 year old CPU. Just be happy it's still working.

• 2x i7-870
  • i7-875k
  • x3470 xeon
All overclocked for 4-12 years with 1.35-1.45v vcore , no signs of degration. These 45nm chips seem to handle voltage the best, keep in mind i always used quality power supplies and high end coolers. This gen allows BLCK overclocking which is the only way, cache frequency cannot be changed so it goes higher when you adjust BLCK. Going above 1.475v is imbossible even with delidded chip + 3 fan AIO cooling. This does not apply to anything past westmere.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~cw