I want to overclock my CPU

gregson66

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I want to up my CPU just a bit. I can probably work out the options in the bios but i want to know besides heat, is there any sort of damage i can do.

when OC'ing my GPU if i take it too high it says the driver has crashed and recovers so i take it thats unstable and i can clock down a bit.

With a CPU however thats the main heart, if i take that too high can that get the same sort of error. and if i can is it safe and easy enough to clock it back down?

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yes, overclocking can cause damage and will shorten the life of your CPU. I'm sure others will disagree, but processors are not set to the clock speeds they are just to screw the consumer. They are set by heat and life span parameters. If you keep the overclock low and the heat stays within manufacturers specs you should be ok. But if you give it a major boost you may burn the processor.

It's funny to read people's comments on other sites about their overclock experiences. They will be the first to tell you it's safe, but when you read their experiences and see that they can only game for an hour before the system resets or are replacing parts every few months you see they either have huge budgets for computers or are lying to themselves.

I will add that at one time I was an overclocking fiend. I was always pushing for a high yet stable overclock, I now have a collection of dead MOBO's and CPU's. What did I get out of it? Unstable gaming performance, vsync issues, random crashes but I did get some really good futuremark scores. :kaola:

Before overclocking I would advise on reading up on your current hardware and see what the limitations of it is. Overclocking anything can cause permanent damage to hardware. Heat will be your main enemy but to get stable overclocks you will need to at some point add voltage if your hardware allows it to get stability. If you are on an OEM type system you might as well just forget about overclocking because it just is not possible.

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

here's something to read up on overclocking it should answer any of your questions, the only time i see people damage their equipment, is when an over zealous n00b wants to kick a processor up to 5ghz with inadequate equipment and lack of knowledge when it comes to overclocking.

with overclocking, you want to keep your system stable, (no heat issues/voltage issues etc...)...improper cooling can result in things such as catching a mobo on fire or burning up your ram or even your processor.

so do a little research and remember to overclock with care {=^.^=}

gregson66

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

So theres no stupid way im gonna lock myself out and not beable to boot anymore? thats my only fear.
my coolings good enough heat shudnt be an issue really, and im not stupid enough to let it cook.
my 12cm case fans are set up to the 2nd cpu fan slot, so would raise with heat. which means theyd get too loud for me to bear before my processor ever got too hot for itself to handle lol

(not that it matters but i forgot my shizz)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
ASRock 990FX Extreme3
Nesteq ASM X-Zero 700W
AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
Sapphire HD 7970 (1175/1580)
1TB Seagate HDD
2 x Dvd Drives
(HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50)
(hp DVD A DH16AAL)
Acer S240HL 24" @1920 x 1080

Why cant i edit my posts?

gregson66