Question I want to overclock my old core 2 duo, but I need help find a proper bios to do it

Jul 14, 2022
I need help getting a bios that has the right settings that allow me to overclock my cpu, I have a foxconn g33m02 board I got out of a dell vostro 530s. It has Phoenix Award BIOS version 1.0.15 on it and I know there's other versions of that bios that have settings for overclocking. I either need some help getting an updated bios that will work on my board with my cpu, that or maybe some help figuring out how to unlock those settings.

I know how to update the bios and I know how badly it can get messed up, but I'm getting a new pc in a few weeks and am willing to take the risk of bricking my main one. My cpu is the Core 2 Duo e8400 and I'm just looking to push a little bit more out of it. As I said, I know the risks, but I'm willing to take them.

Here's an Image of my BIOS and System info if it helps.

Any tips help, thanks in advance.

That looks like a OEM board and I do not think there is any sort of bios that unlocks overclocking features on that, plus it has a really underwhelming power delivery on it by the looks of it with no cooling.

There is a bsel mod that might work on that since its at 800mhz, but I'm not entirely sure on the e8400 and it also has the risk of breaking the CPU socket if things go south, it involves taking the CPU out and using tape to cover a couple of pads on the CPU and installing it back without the tape falling off, that should land you at 3.6ghz, yes overclocking with tape. Its not guaranteed to work though and its been a long time since I was into them Core 2 Duo's and quads, I know the tape mod works well on the q6600, I've done a few myself with painters tape. It has risks as well so of course read up on it and do at your own risk. If it doesn't work, at most it will do is not post or beep at you like crazy, as long as the pins arn't bent, remove the tape and its good to go.

Good Luck!

Jul 14, 2022
That looks like a OEM board and I do not think there is any sort of bios that unlocks overclocking features on that, plus it has a really underwhelming power delivery on it by the looks of it with no cooling.

There is a bsel mod that might work on that since its at 800mhz, but I'm not entirely sure on the e8400 and it also has the risk of breaking the CPU socket if things go south, it involves taking the CPU out and using tape to cover a couple of pads on the CPU and installing it back without the tape falling off, that should land you at 3.6ghz, yes overclocking with tape. Its not guaranteed to work though and its been a long time since I was into them Core 2 Duo's and quads, I know the tape mod works well on the q6600, I've done a few myself with painters tape. It has risks as well so of course read up on it and do at your own risk. If it doesn't work, at most it will do is not post or beep at you like crazy, as long as the pins arn't bent, remove the tape and its good to go.

Good Luck!

I well, I figured I'd ask anyways, I knew my board most likely couldn't do it, I just wanted to give it a shot. I have a back up cpu anyways in case I fry this one and as I said, I'm getting a new pc in a few weeks. Anyways, thanks for the input, I'll see what I can do with this info. Thanks for the tape overclocking idea as well, I'll look into it and if it doesn't work, oh well it's not like it's the most urgent thing in the world. It seems like it's not that hard, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Jul 14, 2022
So I gave the bsel mod a shot and because of the way the e8400 is, it didn't do much at all. But it was a good shot, thanks for trying to help. I'm sure ill find some other way to do it, or I'll just deal until I get my new pc. It's not a bad pc as is now, I was just trying to see if I could make it a little better before I stop using it. Either way, the bsel mod was worth a shot.

So I gave the bsel mod a shot and because of the way the e8400 is, it didn't do much at all. But it was a good shot, thanks for trying to help. I'm sure ill find some other way to do it, or I'll just deal until I get my new pc. It's not a bad pc as is now, I was just trying to see if I could make it a little better before I stop using it. Either way, the bsel mod was worth a shot.
Yeah I can't remember what CPU's it works on, some of the Core 2 Duo's it didn't some it did, same with the Core 2 Quads, its been a long time since I got really into the that generation of CPU's.

And yeah, unfortunately you'd need a different board to get anymore out of that CPU, Probably would be better off just dealing with it until you get your new system. Look at the bright side, I got an AMD Sempron 2560 dual core at 1.4ghz and I tried everything to get it to be usable, it was released in 2018 I believe and it can't even watch youtube at 720p without the video locking up lol. That old e8400 smokes this thing, I use it for a vary basic NAS and its almost not good for that.