I want to play original Everquest

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:26:15 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>IMO, this was something that Verant should've given some consideration
>when the designers made the game--people come, with friends, from
>other games, and want to play <with them>. As hard as these clowns
>tried to jam grouping down peoples' throats, they passed the
>obvious... people would rather group with friends than strangers.

Aye, bizbee, spot on there. It's a blindingly obvious concept, too,
as most people jon these games *wanting* to play with RL friends, not
join to *make* new friends. Of course, people do actually make online
friendships, but playing with RL friends at the outset is, I think, so
much better.

Palindrome

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <%EsSe.5823$Wd7.645@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
tuberoo@earthlink.net says...
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:20:16 GMT in <AiiSe.12659$B34.1705@trnddc09>,
> "Fonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net> graced the world with this thought:
>
> >Why didn't you all start in the same city?
>
> Game design? Of course, I guess we could have all started human
> rangers.

Rolling a human in Qeynos (+ SF): (iirc at the time SF was listed as
"Qeynos" as the starting city on the city select map screen, despite
starting you in the glade... though I could be wrong on that point.) My
first chars were a human SK and human Enc.

All the pure melee (war/rog/monk)
All the hybrid melee (pali/sk/rng)
All the int casters (mag/wiz/enc/nec)
2 of 3 wis casters (clr, dru)

You miss out on a grand total of 1 class: shaman.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <rfdlh1ho89bmkgj9r30s3ajsslvna9ul96@4ax.com>, damon-
nomad@tiscali.co.uk says...

> The ED way is valid, but dragging out the length of time spent in the
> very zones that are the most stale and uninteresting, by deliberately
> handicapping yourself, is just *not* going to make EQ any more
> enjoyable.

What makes twinking and powerlevelling inherently more enjoyable?

What makes you think level 70 is any more fun than 40? Indeed if 70 is
more fun than 40, its probably because you didn't do anything
interesting at 40 except try to get to 41, whereas at 70 you've finally
stepped off the treadmill and looked around... (or maybe not... maybe
you think you need 500AAs too before you can start having fun.)

If you actually play the game, play each level, and don't spoil it for
yourself by rending everything at the level your at pointless by
leveraging all your progression off higher level players (because THAT
is what buying in the bazaar amounts to), you'd find that level 10 can
be just as much fun as level 65.

-cheers

My interest in the game has been roused by this discussion so I
reloaded EQ, thinking I would create a new character and kill a few
rats and decaying skellies. After four hours of downloading upgrades
and such I found myself in some sort of tutorial with golden trails
leading me from NPC to NPC. This is one of the reasons I quit EQ2.
After getting out of the tutorial I found myself in PoK. What? I
never even purchased this upgrade. All I wanted to do was create a
wood-elf ranger and work my way toward Crushbone. Can't even do that
any more. Bah.

I have also read about Brad's new game after hearing about it here. It
sounds really exciting, but it's still a year away. Bah.

Bah. Bah. Bah. Bleh.

PD

>Make the game hard again. I'd be glad to pay a premium to play on a
>server that had no expansions or enhancements. Bring back the original
>game.

>Anyone else?

If you want orignial EQ maybe this will bring back the memories ^_^

http://www.guildmirage.com/has_anybody.htm

In alt.games.everquest, "Phonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net> wrote:

>and such I found myself in some sort of tutorial with golden trails
>leading me from NPC to NPC.

You don't, I believe, *have* to start in the tutorial. Click off that
button when creating the character. Even if you are forced to start in the
tutorial, you can /camp, uncheck the tutorial button and relog in.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : Guy Gavriel Kay

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:34:06 -0400, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>
wrote:
>I've also heard that there's a scalable instance in Nedaria's
> Landing that anyone can use to grind out some exp if
>thats what they want to do... haven't tried it yet.

The Forgotten Halls. It's pretty useful to spend a bit of time there
as the mobs (rats, bats and mini-golems) usually always con dark blue,
no matter what your level. The zone is Instanced, too, so you or your
group are the only players in there. The mobs have never "socialled"
on me, though I have heard that, at higher levels, they do.

Palindrome

Lance Berg wrote:
> I've been in a group, died, and had to log back in three times before
> rejoining them.
>
> One of the Epic Dawn crowd (back when we were the Icarus Down crowd) and
> I tried to join up as newbies both by relogging and by repeatedly dying,
> never did manage it.
>
> Is this a big deal? Well no, its only the tutorial, and overall the new
> tutorial is one of the best things I've seen in the game. But its a
> nuisance, and its a bigger nuisance to genuine newbies (not that there
> are a lot of those) who are of the "I want to log on with my friends and
> figure out how to play this game together" ilk.

The tutorial is great for ramping up new *characters* quickly, but it's
not much of an improvement for new *players*. The info was always
available through the very beginning hints and the help files you could
read through. It's just now you go on a series of mini-quests to
actively acquire it rather than spending your first half hour in the
game reading the help files.

You get to learn the basic game functions and then you learn the
tutorial zone real well, but at the end of it you're still dumped in
your starting city with a "Okay, what the heck do I do now?" feeling,
just like you always were.

It's the same thing in EQ2. I swear I ran around for a good 2 hours or
so when I made my character because I made a gnome. You can't go into
the main city or advance in level until you become a citizen, and
becoming a citizen involves gathering tokens. And for gnomes, the
tokens are drops in The Caves. And that's all you're told.

The Caves are not accessible from the gnome newbie town. The Caves are
not on the map. The Caves are not on the waypoint list. The Caves are
not a valid term to ask the guards about. There were no other players
in the gnome newbie zone to ask.

So what and where the heck are The Caves?

As far as I could see with my first character, there was no way *at
all* for a new player to know how to progress in the game.

The answer was to go back to the docks and click on the bell for
"destinations outside Qeynos" and The Caves was one of the options and
then it would teleport you there. I found it -- like I said, after
endless wandering around -- just by accident & frustration, clicking on
anything and everything I could.

I relate this story about starting off in EQ2 because I think the
tutorials in EQ and EQ2 are similar. If that's the way it was for me
as a true new player to EQ2 then I'm sure that's the way it is for any
true newbies in EQ as well. Tutorial teaches you how to play the game
reasonably well, and then dumps you out with no clue where to go or
what to do.

patrick.barnes@standardregister.com wrote:

> Lance Berg wrote:
>
>>I've been in a group, died, and had to log back in three times before
>>rejoining them.
>>
>>One of the Epic Dawn crowd (back when we were the Icarus Down crowd) and
>>I tried to join up as newbies both by relogging and by repeatedly dying,
>>never did manage it.
>>
>>Is this a big deal? Well no, its only the tutorial, and overall the new
>>tutorial is one of the best things I've seen in the game. But its a
>>nuisance, and its a bigger nuisance to genuine newbies (not that there
>>are a lot of those) who are of the "I want to log on with my friends and
>>figure out how to play this game together" ilk.
>>

> The tutorial is great for ramping up new *characters* quickly, but it's
> not much of an improvement for new *players*. The info was always
> available through the very beginning hints and the help files you could
> read through. It's just now you go on a series of mini-quests to
> actively acquire it rather than spending your first half hour in the
> game reading the help files.
>
> You get to learn the basic game functions and then you learn the
> tutorial zone real well, but at the end of it you're still dumped in
> your starting city with a "Okay, what the heck do I do now?" feeling,
> just like you always were.

Actually, if you do the new tutorial, then you may end up staying as
long as level 10, and when you finally do bother to leave, you don't end
up in your starting city, you end up in POK, with another task dropped
in your lap, which leads you to exploring the basics of POK and finding
a couple guys who give you still more tasks. Work on their tasks can
keep you busy till 25 or so, although during some of that time you're
going to have to find other things to do as you need to level up more to
get those tasks done (assuming you aren't twinked/powerbuffed that is)

Hopefully by the time you've finished all the tasks you're able to find
things to do for yourself, although frankly I do miss having a list of
nice quests to run... I found the whole task system to be an excellent
way to add some fun to what can, to be honest, turn into a grind.

But it does nothing at all to acquaint you with your home city, except
inasmuch as you have to take your task rewards for one of the two guys,
to your home city guild master.

Midi

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
To the original poster, and anyone else interested: On July 28th 06, I believe, Sony opened up The Combine and The Sleeper. Both of these servers are exactly what the original poster was wanting. You start out in only the original Everquest with *most* of the stuff in those days.

Sony was unable to totally duplicate the *old* Everquest due to the fact they would have to do some massive re-coding.

While this is the original Everquest, the rest of the content (expansions) are still there, they are just in limbo until the first people kill the highest end targets in that era. Once that happens, Kunark is opened up along with what came with it. Once the high end content of Kunark is killed, Velious gets opened up and its content / perks.

This keeps happening until those servers are brought up to speed with the other live servers.

I think it was a neat concept, though hard to give up the luxuries we have today. I started playing in Mar of 2000 and still remember the days of just the Original Everquest.

jjgdo

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Even greifers like this Tony Evans (who is completely wrong by theway but is not willing and too ignorant to see it) were a part of the fun as they were able to make you madder than thay can today.

The old EQ was the best and it's clear there is still great interest in it.