I want to pull my GFrce 240m out and put something newer in to my laptop. can i

Wembley187

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I dont want to go out and buy a new laptop when this one works just fine. all it needs is a graphics update. will that f up my laptop or can i do that?

Solution
Only about ~5% of laptops have a seperate video "card" but even then a replacement card has to fix and be compatible (thermal output, shape/size, power requirements etc).

From experiece Acer, Toshiba and Dell are the most common to have seperate cards.

I have torn apart an old Acer to remove the failed Nvidia card out and replaced it with an ATi based card (from another unit that had died) and it did work but you get weird anomalies like no gpu temps, issues detecting exactly what gpu/specs etc but as far as 3D games and applications and drivers it was AOK.

I wouldnt bother seriously.
Only about ~5% of laptops have a seperate video "card" but even then a replacement card has to fix and be compatible (thermal output, shape/size, power requirements etc).

From experiece Acer, Toshiba and Dell are the most common to have seperate cards.

I have torn apart an old Acer to remove the failed Nvidia card out and replaced it with an ATi based card (from another unit that had died) and it did work but you get weird anomalies like no gpu temps, issues detecting exactly what gpu/specs etc but as far as 3D games and applications and drivers it was AOK.

I wouldnt bother seriously.

Solution