[SOLVED] I want to remove the plastic shroud on my MSI GTX 1070 ti Duke card so I can paint it white.

Feb 26, 2021
I see 2 screws behind each of the 3 fans. I can access those by moving the fan blades one way or the other. Are those the shroud screws?

My real question is....can I remove this shroud without completely disassembling the card, removing the heatsink from the PCB?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Solution
Shunt mod is basically shorting out the shunt so it no longer measures current flow properly, or more recently, you solder another resistor on top of it, so that it cuts the resistance in half, effectively halving the current measurement. Tricks the card into ignoring its limits.

Information like that can be found on the more hardcore overclocking forums.

Most I do these days is slap a water block on a card. That gets you 95% of the way there.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shroud only isn't usually that complicated. You can certainly start with any visible screws.

There may be screws on the sides under some stickers or labels that you have to remove. Just give it a tug to see where it might still be attached and investigate further.

You are in luck, looks like Gamer's Nexus took that one apart:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=iQdhxTI2lwg

Reactions: Angrychris9215
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I'm a regular viewer of GN and have seen that video. He never removes the shroud from the heatsink. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend. Cant get one of those fancy white ASUS 3080 Strix cards....may as well make the best of my aging 10 series.

Feb 26, 2021
He also never actually explains the actual shunt mod that the video title claims...I guess that's in another video somewhere else...... :rolleyes: He does show you where you'd shunt it. I may follow up on that some day, but really what's the point.... 5 extra frames?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shunt mod is basically shorting out the shunt so it no longer measures current flow properly, or more recently, you solder another resistor on top of it, so that it cuts the resistance in half, effectively halving the current measurement. Tricks the card into ignoring its limits.

Information like that can be found on the more hardcore overclocking forums.

Most I do these days is slap a water block on a card. That gets you 95% of the way there.

Solution
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks for the info. I think slapping a water block on it sounds easier than soldering anything. I wonder if they make aftermarket AIO's for GPU's. I have one for the cpu and its great.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Indeed they do. A common one is the G12 Kraken Bracket (Comes in white) from NZXT, it lets you use any Asetek style AIO for the GPU (sold separately), and has a fan to cool the power delivery section.

There are also similar products from Arctic, though they tend to be less universal.

There are also pre-filled water blocks from EK with quick disconnects so the loop can be expanded.