Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmin415215

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
Hello, I am trying to start a windows installing highschool hustle, and although I have some experience I am sure I will make mistakes can you help me prevent some?

When installing windows (any, from 95 to 10,11) should I remove all the drives but the one that I will install the os on, both on desktops and laptops?

If a customer wants some files to be saved, I can save them on my usb drive, but what if he wants me to save a program, possibly one that required a cd key to activate, or something that can't just be installed from the internet, what should I do?
(ex. a shop manager wanted me to install windows 10 on a pc that had some cash register and business application which required codes to transfer from a pc to another one, and you could get just 2 codes per year... I have left the job and let professionals deal with that).

What software is a must other than google for every person?

What should I bring with me? Are usb sticks with all the windows versions enough?
( I think I should get cd drives too, some very old computers don't support usb booting) what about a laptop in case I get drive format problems(NFTS, GPT, MBR).

Is windows 8 a good option for older computers? From what I have researched it uses less resources than 8.1, 10 and 11.

What free antivirus should I install on older computers which may have small amounts of ram?

If you can answer any question , give me any tips, recommend a book or a tutorial about windows installations or hard drive formats, please do.

When installing windows (any, from 95 to 10,11) should I remove all the drives but the one that I will install the os on, both on desktops and laptops?
Depends on what you want to do, the windows installation will always add itself to the drive that does the booting, if there happens to be an OS on that drive that you want to keep but it's newer than the OS you are installing, or if it otherwise doesn't acknowledge it like if it's linux or something you should disconnect all other drives to keep the other OSes safe.
If you install an OS and there are no other OSes or all other OSes are supported by the installation it will just create a dual(multi)boot automatically.
If a customer wants some files to be saved, I can save them on my usb drive, but what if he wants me to save a program, possibly one that required a cd key to activate, or something that can't just be installed from the internet, what should I do?
(ex. a shop manager wanted me to install windows 10 on a pc that had some cash register and business application which required codes to transfer from a pc to another one, and you could get just 2 codes per year... I have left the job and let professionals deal with that).
Don't get mixed up with software piracy, install the software without using any key and tell them that anything more is their business.

If a PC doubles as a cash register it is government regulated doing this without being licensed could be (most probably is) very illegal.
What software is a must other than google for every person?
Nothing, let them install whatever they want.
What should I bring with me? Are usb sticks with all the windows versions enough?
( I think I should get cd drives too, some very old computers don't support usb booting) what about a laptop in case I get drive format problems(NFTS, GPT, MBR).
If you go as old as win95 you would even need floppies.
A laptop with an external encloser or two one for sata one for ide (maybe one for scsi as well) would help you with formatting drives but since often drive issues come from failing drives customers could blame you for damaging the drives if they happen to completely brake down while you are using them in an enclosure.
If the windows installation fails to format the drive bow out or tell them they need a new drive.
Is windows 8 a good option for older computers? From what I have researched it uses less resources than 8.1, 10 and 11.
Only an OS that is still supported by MS is a good option for a common user, windows 8 will have issues and customers will whine your ears off about this and that.
What free antivirus should I install on older computers which may have small amounts of ram?
Linux is a decent option since it doesn't get attacked nearly as much, any decent AV is going to make an old system unusable.

Cosmin415215

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
A side hustle, as in getting paid for this?

Not to be harsh, but you are nowhere near ready for this.
Not even a little bit.
I have installed a quite some operating systems for friends, family, some virtual boxes in the past two years and I think I have some experience in computers. But I do not know everything about operating systems, and if you know a way to learn everything, a book or something, I am open to suggestions.

USAFRet

Titan
I have installed a quite some operating systems for friends, family, some virtual boxes in the past two years and I think I have some experience in computers. But I do not know everything about operating systems, and if you know a way to learn everything, a book or something, I am open to suggestions.
Pretty much every one of your questions and thoughts was....wrong.

"Is windows 8 a good option for older computers? From what I have researched it uses less resources than 8.1, 10 and 11. "
No.

"What free antivirus should I install on older computers which may have small amounts of ram? "
This depends on the OS.

"When installing windows (any, from 95 to 10,11) "
Why are you looking at anything earlier than Win 10?

And all the others...

Anyone looking to get paid for doing this already knows how, and does not need a tutorial or book.

Whatever you do (installing Windows): Make damn sure the "customer" (being it a friend, neighbour etc) either provides you with activation key for the version of Windows you're going to install, or (if you install Windows 10/11) that the Windows will not be activated. Make explicitely clear that you are charging for installing software, not for license to use that software. You'll shield yourself from problems in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.